The best place to watch a movie is at home in a comfy chair. But what if that comfy chair was inside the theater?
WNYW reports that is apparently the plan for Kansas City-based theater chain AMC, which is now installing La-Z-Boy-style recliners in around a third of its auditoriums. ABC reports:
"AMC is announcing that it's spending hundreds of millions of dollars outfitting theaters with La-Z-Boy-type seats that will allow you to recline all the way back as you watch your film."
KNXV reports: "Take a look at the chairs there. You might fall asleep if the movies not action-packed."
The new, more cushy seats, are already installed at several of the chains theaters, with renovations running about $350,000 to $500,000 per auditorium according to The Hollywood Reporter. The total will run at about $600 million over the next five years, according to the Wall Street Journal.
And despite making for less room - reportedly 50 to 70-percent less seating per theater - the new seats might actually be making for better business for the theaters.
As The Wall Street Journal reports, attendance has been up some 80-percent in theaters that have undergone the renovations - with the same theaters seeing a 60-percent increase in revenue over the first quarter of 2014.
Which is good news considering the competition theaters have faced from the likes of Netflix and Hulu in recent years.
So, we know what you're thinking, 'Will this increase ticket prices?' - and the answer is 'yes' ... eventually.
Cinema Blend points out tickets will eventually go up $1 to $2, but only after a grace period of a few years with the new seating arrangements.
And according to Variety, outside of the comfy seats there will also be other new amenities to draw viewers in - like "full dine-in capabilities," - so the price might not feel like such a hike.
AMC says it will continue rolling out the renovations over the next five years, so if they're not to your town yet - just get comfortable.
The Latest from our Partners
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Over 6,500 Amazon shoppers rave about this stationary bike — and it…
- Thousands of Amazon shoppers love this $20 shoulder bag that’s the ‘Go…
- Cozy up outside with this top-rated fire pit that’s $110 off on Amazon
- An Insane card offering 0% interest until nearly 2021
- 7 outrageous credit cards if you have excellent credit
- Cards charging 0% interest until 2021
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…