Couple loses home to fire weeks before wedding

Couple Loses Home to Fire Weeks Before Wedding
Couple Loses Home to Fire Weeks Before Wedding

TORRINGTON -- A Torrington couple's wedding plans have been thrown into flux after most of their belongings were wiped out in a fire last week.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

FOXCT reports: Torrington residents Ashley Toker and Brittany Brienza's wedding planning took a big hit after a fire started in the kitchen of their South Chapel Street home last Friday -- only weeks away from their wedding.

The two and a half story home was engulfed by the fire, which the Torrington Fire Department says started in a waste basket in the kitchen area and spread to the second floor.

Brittany and Ashley weren't home at the time, but most of their belongings were destroyed, including more than $1,000 worth of items purchased for their wedding.

"Most of the decorations got lost," said Brienza.

Brienza and ten of her family members lived in the multifamily unit and have lost everything in the fire.

"Everyone's really pulled together for us. I'm really appreciative of that," said Brittany's mother, Diane Hart.

Toker and Brienza are preparing to get married on July 12 in Upstate New York, and are planning to keep the wedding date despite the setbacks.

The couple says that members of Brittany's extended family have pitched in to make food for the wedding since the couple can no longer afford the cost of catering.

"I was kind of nervous of how [we'd] make it with everything because all of our money is being spent at hotels," said Toker.

Toker says that Brittany's aunt has been making bouquets and making flowers for the men, since all the decorations, including wedding pins, were lost in the fire.

Her wedding dress was thankfully kept at her parents' home -- nowhere near the fire.

"Thank God, because I don't think David's Bridal would give me another one," Toker said.

Brittany Brienza says her tuxedo was at the home during the fire -- but it came away virtually unscathed.

"Thank God it had a bag on it," she said.

Online donations can be made to the family on their Go Fund Me page.

Also on AOL:
Bride, maid of honor escape burning building days before wedding
Motorcyclist's revenge backfired when kicking a car
Bones identified as missing teen 40 years later