New York City to pay $40 million to end 'Central Park jogger' lawsuit: source

5 PHOTOS
central park jogger
See Gallery
New York City to pay $40 million to end 'Central Park jogger' lawsuit: source
UNITED STATES - FEBRUARY 11: Kharey Wise testifies against the death penalty at a hearing before the New York State Assembly at Pace University. Wise, who was wrongfully convicted of beating and raping a woman jogger in Central Park in 1989, spent 15 years in prison. He was released when the real assailant confessed to the crime. (Photo by Debbie Egan-Chin/NY Daily News Archive via Getty Images)
UNITED STATES - DECEMBER 23: Raymond Santana, the last of the Central Park jogger defendants, is escorted from the Queensboro Correctional Facility in Long Island City. Santana remained in jail on drug charges when the convictions of the five defendants in the rape case were overturned last week. He was freed today when a Supreme Court judge reduced his sentence on the drug charge. (Photo by Andrew Savulich/NY Daily News Archive via Getty Images)
Demonstrators from the National Action Network protest outside Gov. Pataki's Third Ave. office urging the governor to appoint a special prosecutor in the Central Park jogger case. (Photo By: Susan Watts/NY Daily News via Getty Images)
UNITED STATES - DECEMBER 19: We are overjoyed we have crossed this hurdle, says Sharonne Salaam outside Manhattan Supreme Court where a judge overturned the conviction of her son, Yusef Salaam, and four other men who had been jailed in the Central Park jogger case. Justice Charles Tejada accepted the district attorney's argument that a confession by another man, plus DNA evidence, weakened the credibility of the five suspects' confessions in the April 1989 attack on the jogger. (Photo by Susan Watts/NY Daily News Archive via Getty Images)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

By Joseph Ax

(Reuters) - New York City has agreed to pay $40 million to five men who were convicted, and later exonerated, of brutally raping a female jogger in Central Park in 1989, settling a long-fought civil rights lawsuit, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The violent attack, which became known as the Central Park jogger case, made national headlines as a sign that the city's crime rate had spiraled out of control, while the outcome of the prosecution raised questions about race and the justice system.

The victim was white and the defendants all black or Hispanic.

The five men – Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Raymond Santana, Korey Wise and Yusef Salaam – were between 14 and 16 years of age at the time of the rape and confessed after lengthy police interrogations.

Each soon recanted, insisting they had admitted to the crime under the duress of exhaustion and coercion from police officers. Another man confessed to the crime years later.

The victim, Trisha Meili, a 28-year-old investment banker, nearly died from the attack and was left with no memory of it.

The settlement still requires approval from the city's comptroller and from the federal judge in Manhattan who has overseen the case, Deborah Batts, according to the person familiar with the matter.

As in most cases in which the city settles civil rights claims, the municipal government likely will not admit wrongdoing, the person said.

Jonathan Moore, one of the lawyers for the men, declined to comment. A spokeswoman for the city's Law Department also declined to comment, citing pending litigation.

The deal comes six months after Mayor Bill de Blasio, who called for a settlement during his campaign, took office. His predecessor, Michael Bloomberg, had long resisted settling the case, with city lawyers repeatedly saying the convictions withstood legal scrutiny regardless of whether they were later vacated.

In January, the city asked for the litigation to be put on hold to explore a resolution.

The settlement was first reported on Thursday by The New York Times.

The five men were convicted in 1990 amid intense media coverage. A dozen years later, murderer and serial rapist Matias Reyes confessed to the crime, and DNA tied him to the rape.

An internal review by the Manhattan district attorney's office, which moved to throw out the convictions in 2002, found that the boys' original confessions included "troubling discrepancies."

A judge vacated the convictions. By then, however, all five had been released from prison after serving between five and 13 years.

They sued the city in 2003 for wrongful conviction and violation of their civil rights, seeking $250 million in damages.

The lawsuit gained renewed attention in 2012, when famed documentary filmmaker Ken Burns released "Central Park Five," a movie that cast the men as victims of racial tensions and a rush to judgment.


Related AOL content:
Man's surprise in box of bananas
Court says Los Angeles statute discriminates against the poor
Government scientists possibly exposed to anthrax

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.