NEW YORK (AP) - Maybe it's the ultimate sign that New York City's up-and-coming borough has finally arrived: 'Brooklyn' is now one of the nation's most popular baby names.
Over the past two decades, 'Brooklyn' as a name for girls has surged from No. 912 to the top 30 in each of the last three years.
Some credit soccer star David Beckham and his wife, Victoria, for naming their son Brooklyn. Some cite actress Brooklyn Decker. Others point to "Girls" and the other TV shows and movies that tap into the borough's gritty, cool vibe.
But one thing is clear: Of the 41 states where Brooklyn is now the most popular girl's name beginning with B, New York is not among them.
Real Brooklynites say naming your child 'Brooklyn' is strictly for out-of-towners.
Check out these famous people who share their names with places:
- Latest mortgage news: After flirting with 6%, rates retreat
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- TikToker shares just how cool it is to buy a drink at a Korean conv…
- Unexpected umami recipes on TikTok that use MSG
- You don’t have to wait until Prime Day — a bunch of the best Calvin Kl…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!