NEW YORK (AP) - Maybe it's the ultimate sign that New York City's up-and-coming borough has finally arrived: 'Brooklyn' is now one of the nation's most popular baby names.
Over the past two decades, 'Brooklyn' as a name for girls has surged from No. 912 to the top 30 in each of the last three years.
Some credit soccer star David Beckham and his wife, Victoria, for naming their son Brooklyn. Some cite actress Brooklyn Decker. Others point to "Girls" and the other TV shows and movies that tap into the borough's gritty, cool vibe.
But one thing is clear: Of the 41 states where Brooklyn is now the most popular girl's name beginning with B, New York is not among them.
Real Brooklynites say naming your child 'Brooklyn' is strictly for out-of-towners.
Check out these famous people who share their names with places:
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!