After facing criticism from the community, one Florida family is fighting back in a very big, and very patriotic, way.
"They said they're fed up with code enforcement in Bradenton, Florida ... they were cited in February for still having their Christmas tree outside and other problems, that's why they did this."
Yes, according to WFLA, Brent Greer and his wife did a little remodeling after they became frustrated with their local city code enforcement.
"It blows my mind that this is taking place in the city of Bradenton." "To remind the city and all that live here that this is America, this is a free country, this is my home."
Apparently the trouble all began when someone reported a dead Christmas tree was left outside Greer's home earlier this year. WTVT reports, "When code enforcement investigated, they cited other violations, many of which Greer disputes. He now faces a $250-a-day fine, which has him fed up."
He says he refuses to pay the fine. A hearing for Greer's case has been scheduled for later this month.
According to WTSP, Greer was sent a two-page letter listing all the violations the city was citing him for. Some issues included:
- missing window screens
- broken windows
- siding in need of pressure washing and painting
- loose railings
- trash on the property
The Bradenton Herald also notes the family was cited for having children's toys strewn across the yard. The Greers are adoptive parents to seven children and also serve as foster parents. Greer says up to 11 children could be at the house at once, so "of course there are toys on the lawn."
Greer does not live in a deed-restricted community, which means his deed doesn't bind him to any association that requires his home to be a certain way. He says his next move is to paint the second floor of the home ... as The Liberty bell.
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Amazon shoppers say this teddy-lined hoodie feels like ‘being snugg…
- The under-$10 product a popular TikTok doctor recommends for treating …
- These 3 coconut skincare products are shower staples
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance