Investigators in Florida are describing what we have to imagine is one of those all-time facepalm. They say a 20-year-old man impersonated a police officer by trying to pull over an actual police officer.
This man, Matthew McMahon, was booked and released by the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office Tuesday in St. Augustine by the very men and women they say he tried to pretend to be.
The detective who eventually arrested McMahon told WTLV in Jacksonville he was driving an unmarked car, and he was "shocked" when the Ford Crown Vic behind him flashed a red and blue light bar.
WTLV reporter: "An outdated and out-of-service cop car pulled up next to him."
Det. Chance Anderson, St. Johns County Sheriff's Officer: "So I pulled over to confront the individual, at which point he pulled up next to me, kind of gave me the slow down look and pointed his finger at me."
Bad move, young man. Detective Chance Anderson says he quickly pulled over McMahon.
The booking site for the sheriff's office shows McMahon was arrested on suspicion of impersonating an officer and obstructing police.
The news inspired plenty of embarrassing fake-cop-pulls-over-real-cop headlines.
The detective confirms McMahon has never been a certified law enforcement officer. The ironic thing -- as if this story didn't already have enough?! -- is that Anderson told WTLV part of his job is catching people who impersonate police.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- This yummy smoothie is packed with immune-boosting vitamins
- 5 easy-to-clean white sneakers that will look good with every outfit t…
- 5 plus-size graduation dresses that aren’t white — because you deserve…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!