Over the weekend, "Last Week Tonight" host John Oliver took 13-minutes to give a few choice words on net neutrality. After comparing cable companies to drug cartels, the comedian managed to stir commenters who set their sights on the FCC - and effectively crashed its website.
Oliver said during his show 'Last Week Tonight with John Oliver', "The FCC are literally inviting Internet comments at this address ... this may be the moment your whole lives have been waiting for... We need you to get out there and for once in your lives focus your indiscriminate rage in a useful direction!"
Oliver was referring to the FCC's initial open commenting period for the net neutrality debate running from May 15 to June 27.
Normally, legislative rhetoric like this passes by mostly unnoticed by the Internet, but thanks to Oliver's rant on HBO talk show, the comment section has received 47,000 contributions and counting. Plus, it allegedly brought the FCC commenting system to a screeching halt early Monday.
The commission tweeted twice yesterday about certain "technical difficulties."
@FCC: "We've been experiencing technical difficulties with our comment system due to heavy traffic. We're working to resolve these issues quickly."
As of Tuesday, everything seemed to be back to normal. Ars Technica spoke with a rep from the FCC who says the organization isn't certain Oliver's rant caused the breakdown, but confirmed the comment section was the source of the problem.
Well, what is for certain is that the comment section titled "Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet" is the only FCC forum to receive 47,000 comments in the last 30 days.
The FCC voted in May to create a plan to eliminate net neutrality. This could allow Internet providers, like cable companies, to charge companies a premium to deliver their content faster. Companies who aren't willing to pay will be left at a disadvantage.
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Upgrade your favorite foods with these easy air fryer hacks
- Learn the basics of at-home baking with this perfect chocolate chip co…
- Chriselle Lim is changing the way millennial and Gen Z moms work
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…