If you're planning on getting surgery soon, a new study says you really might want to choose the day careful.
Conducted by researchers at University Medicine Berlin, the results show patients are more likely to face complications following weekend or afternoon surgeries. Risk of post-surgical death on the weekend rose 22 percent and 21 percent in the afternoons. (Via Wikimedia Commons / DamonSacks)
According to the study's news release, researchers analyzed data from more than 200,000 patients from 2006 to 2011. Aside from higher risks on the weekends and afternoons, they found February to be the riskiest month to have surgery, with a 16 percent higher chance of death. (Via EurekAlert!)
In a statement, the authors explained, "it may be that standard of care differs throughout the day and between weekdays and weekends. Although we controlled for risk factors including emergency surgery in our study, it may very well be that the patients treated in the afternoon and on the weekends were more severely ill."
There have been a number of similar studies conducted over the years - including one from Japan, with similar results that was presented at the same conference as the University Medicine Berlin study. (Via HealthDay, Medpage Today, The Guardian)
But Medical Daily points out, this is "the first time, investigators have shown the same cyclic differences for post-surgical deaths."
According to the authors, the findings highlight the need for greater emphasis on patient safety. However, the study's authors did say more research is needed.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 2.0% APR (15 yr)
- Experts Urge Americans to Refinance in 2021
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Traveling this summer? Snag this Samsonite luggage set now for over…
- TikTok is loving this woman’s elaborate work-from-home ‘hack’
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next outdo…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!