NYPD officers will soon be armed with the heroin antidote naloxone.
WNBC reports: "Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced today that his office is providing the department with $1.17 million that will pay for nearly 20,000 naloxone kits." (Via WNBC)
That means roughly 56 percent of NYPD officers will be equipped with the drug. The NYPD commissioner points out the ironic way the state is footing the bill.
According to WPIX, "Money that was raised through the illegal sale of drugs is now being used to save lives of those afflicted with drug addiction." (Via WPIX)
When a person overdoses on heroin, he or she stops breathing. But naloxone counteracts that.
WNYW reported "Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says when police encoutner someone who has overdosed on heroin or prescription opioid pills, they can spray the naloxone into the person's nose and save their life." (Via WNYW)
WPIX says another New York county had overwhelming success with its naloxone pilot program last year.
"Last year, Suffolk County cops were able to save 563 lives with those kits."
The NYPD will not be the only police department receiving the drug. A news release from the state attorney general's office says roughly 25,000 kits, at $60 a pop, will be distributed to 150 other departments across New York state.
Another pilot program using the drug has saved five lives in Staten Island. The NYPD joins the city's Metropolitan Transportation Authority officers in carrying the antidote.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- 5 seriously yummy waffle sandwiches on TikTok
- Mom gets real about other parents scolding her kids: ‘Hey, we don’t do…
- 7 essentials that’ll make your summer picnics Pinterest-worthy
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!