A breastfeeding campaign in Mexico has ignited controversy with an ad some are calling too sexualized.
In the ads, a banner across the women's chest reads "don't turn your back on them, give them your breast." Time reports the new campaign from Mexico City is drawing such heat because some say it sends the wrong message.
"Health advocates are peeved that the campaign both sexualizes women and faults those who choose not to breast-feed, rather than simply emphasizing the benefits of doing so."
And NPR says it doesn't help that the models for the ads were famous actresses. The outlet spoke with Regina Tames, a member of a reproductive rights group.
"'It's not only a very terrible campaign in terms of how it looks, but it's also the message that if you don't breast-feed, you are a bad mother and you are the one to blame."
And not to mention those women in the ads are pretty tone, hardly looking like they just popped out a baby. But Fashion Times points out, while the ads may have missed the mark, breastfeeding education is important in the country.
"It is the lowest city in Latin America with nursing mothers. Only 14 percent of mothers nurse their child exclusively in the first six months, a standard recommended by the World Health Organization."
KOKH asked its viewers about the controversial ad.
"I breast fed and formula fed my three children. I would have no issues with this ad. Stop crying over spilled milk! Haha.
But Mexico isn't alone when it comes to controversial ads. California-based nonprofit breast cancer group The Keep a Breast Foundation caused a stir with this "I Love Boobies" campaign.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!