"Look ma, no hands!" The California Department of Motor Vehicles approved a set of rules, readying the dawn of self-driving cars on Golden State roads.
The ground-breaking regulations explain how manufacturers should test, insure, register and report their self-driving cars to the State of California. According to Forbes, it will go into effect this September.
So unfortunately if you were hoping for a Tom Cruise-style ride from "Minority Report," you're going to have to wait.
The California Department of Motor Vehicles explains these latest rules do not apply to the average driver, just the makers. However, the department is expected to approve more regulations for consumers by January 1, 2015.
Besides the obvious differences, WZTV gives an example of how self-driving cars and their riders are paving the way to new rules on the road.
WZTV: "California law states that the person behind the wheel is responsible for what happens, but Google says no! Right now they are in talks with the DMV in California to work it out."
CNET says until now, Google had been running pilot programs in a "gray area" since there was no precedent set.
Some might say Google has a pretty good grip on the technology, but what about your wacky neighbor who built his own self-driving hotrod? The DMV explains not everybody can operate legally.
Operators must pass a special driving course. At any time, they must be ready to take over control of the autonomous vehicle. Operators must have an understanding of the technology and they can have no more than one point on their licenses for a traffic code violation.
An analyst on the Business News Network thinks automotive safety will advance with the new rules.
Business News Network: "It's very much real. I think that they are seeing this real massive change in the industry for active safety. Things that really change the way you drive."
California follows Nevada, who previously approved the testing of autonomous vehicles, and even created a special license plate for them. Besides Google, Nissan, Audi and Tesla are a few of the companies also pursuing self-driving cars.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!