Studying abroad? Don't become a pawn.
That's what the FBI is hoping to relay to college students through their new short film,'Game of Pawns: The Glenn Duffie Shriver Story,' an "FBI produced 30-minute movie released last week to warn college students about the threat of foreign governments recruiting them as spies," according to USA Today.
The movie is based on the true story of Glenn Shriver, a former Grand Valley State University (GVSU) student who was on a study abroad trip in China when he became the target of Chinese intelligence officers. Fox News says they eventually paid Shriver $70,000 to apply for jobs with the U.S. CIA and State Department in hopes of getting classified information. But in 2010, Shriver pleaded guilty to espionage.
Shriver was sentenced to four years in prison. And now his story is a warning for other students.
The biggest thing was how friendly they were. Just: 'Hey, no problem. You want some money? It's OK. Hey, don't worry about it ... We just want to be friendly about it. ... It's important for China and America to have strong relations.'"
NPR reports this isn't the first time the FBI has made a movie to send a message. The agency actually spends between $500,000 and $800,000 each year on videos, both for training and development.
This film's screenwriter told NPR: "They really demand accuracy. They want something that is as close to reality as possible."
According to CBS News, "the FBI says they've seen increased attempts by foreign intelligence networks to recruit American students abroad. That's why the agency made this movie to help students when they are being targeted."
Though some believe it looks like a parody, the movie's meant to be taken seriously.
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Amazon shoppers say this teddy-lined hoodie feels like ‘being snugg…
- The under-$10 product a popular TikTok doctor recommends for treating …
- These 3 coconut skincare products are shower staples
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance