Calif. mom furious over baby's accidental overdose

Calif. Mom Furious After Baby's Accidental Pot Overdose

A California mother says she's furious after her 21-month old daughter, Bridget, experienced a scary marijuana overdose -- and, no, it wasn't the parents' pot.

Doctors believe that the little girl ate a piece of pot candy that she found on the beach.

Frances McQueen told KSWB that she knew something was wrong when Bridget started stumbling and slouching and stopped responding verbally.

McQueen immediately rushed her daughter to the hospital, where doctors took a toxicology test.

They reportedly found THC in her system, which is the active chemical in marijuana.

McQueen told reporters she believes Bridget found an abandoned piece of marijuana candy while they were playing on the beach earlier that day.

Recreational marijuana is not legal in California, including laced chocolates, cookies and brownies.

Other children have also been hospitalized recently after accidentally ingesting marijuana.

KCNCreports back in January, a 2-year-old girl in Colorado was brought to the emergency room with similar symptoms after her mother said she ate a cookie she found on the ground.

And Timepoints out soon after Colorado legalized marijuana, hospitals in the state noticed a spike in the number of children brought to the emergency room with THC in their systems.

Fortunately, little Bridget was perfectly fine after she recovered from the overdose.

The McQueen family says people need to realize marijuana edibles look appetizing to children and they should be handled with care to keep something like this from happening again.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.