A 2-year-old boy is alive after falling from a third-floor window at his family's Manhattan apartment early Wednesday morning.
WABC reports a metal trash bin might have saved the toddler - it was directly under the window that he fell from. The trash bin reportedly broke his fall before he ended up hitting the sidewalk.
According to the New York Daily News, the 2-year-old's name is Jayvin Cruz. A witness told the outlet what he heard when Jayvin fell: "I heard a bang. At first I thought it was a car accident ... The baby was lying on the sidewalk crying, but I couldn't see any blood."
Authorities say the boy only suffered minor injuries in the fall. He was taken to the hospital after the early-morning fall with a few bumps and bruises.
KDKA reports the Consumer Product Safety Commission calls children falling from windows one of the top five home hazards. The station notes four young children in late March and early April fell out of upper floor windows in the Pittsburgh area alone.
The agency points out some of the best ways to prevent young children from falling out of windows include moving furniture away from the windows and installing guards or stops. Guards block the windows completely while stops only allow windows to open a couple inches.
The family of the boy who fell in New York said every window in the apartment had a guard except for the one the boy fell from. Police say no charges are expected to be filed.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 2.03% APR (15 yr)
- Forget Your 401k if you Own a Home (Do This)
- Make the Switch from a 30 to 15 Year Mortgage
- 5 three-ingredient summer slushies: ‘That looks so refreshing!’
- Mom is praised for huge, ‘beautiful’ blended family with ex-husband: ‘…
- This father-daughter sing-a-long has TikTok beaming: ‘I was having a b…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!