The debate about whether the NCAA should pay college athletes has consumed many sports fans across the country.
Count Adrian Peterson as the latest to weigh in on the cloudy subject.
The Minnesota Vikings running back sounded off on a conference call Wednesday to promote a recovering icing device called Hyperice that he endorses, according to ESPN.com reports.
He said, players "are the ones making these universities money" and singled out quarterback Johnny Manziel, who he claimed brought in tons of revenue for his respective school. "Johnny Manziel made Texas A&M so much money. When I was at Oklahoma, they made so much money."
The report said Peterson, who rushed for 1,266 and 10 touchdowns for the Vikings this past season, also spoke out against NBA commissioner Adam Silver's comments that basketball players should stay in school for two years.
"They're trying to make basketball players go two years in college. Wow. I wonder why?" Peterson said. "Think about it -- just imagine if LeBron James had been in college for two years. How much money would that college have made off LeBron James? They would have made so much money off LeBron James. It's about the freedom to do as you want and make your own decisions."
When Peterson was a student-athlete at Oklahoma, he said, his first daughter was born, adding responsibilities outside of "playing football and going to class."
"Nobody wants to live in the dorms for four years," Peterson said. "You see the guys who are older, and they have responsibilities. I feel like, as much money as universities make, some of that should come down to the players, as well."
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- This baby’s reaction to bath time gets cuter and cuter
- Those viral ‘peel and reveal’ lip stains are on sale today on Amazon
- ‘Now that our kid isn’t a baby anymore, my wife and I can’t agree on b…
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!