A new survey shows a large increase in the number of Americans skeptical of the teachings of the Bible.
WCSC mentions "The survey finds more and more Americans consider the Bible to be teachings of men... rather than the word of God. The poll... from the American Bible Society... found the greatest increase in those opinions came from Americans between the ages of 18 and 29."
According to the American Bible Society's latest "State of the Bible" poll, the number of people said to be "Bible engaged" is now equal to the percentage of people who do not believe the Bible is sacred.
WOFL reports both groups now sit at 19 percent. The percentage of "Bible skeptics" is up from 10 percent in 2011. According to the president of the society, that's a concerning change.
Those who are engaged by the Bible are those who read it on a regular basis and believe the book is the actual or inspired Word of God. On the other hand, skeptics see the Bible merely as stories and advice. (Via Wikimedia Commons / Amandajm)
The study, which is conducted annually by Barna Research, is based on more than 2,000 interviews with U.S. adults in January and February.
It finds this trend is most pronounced among millennials, those who are range in age from 18 to 29. But why? Most say they are either too busy or significant life changes or events created doubt in their faith.
The president of American Bible Society told the The Washington Post the survey shows, "... we just can't hand them a Bible and expect them to find the answers. We have to get out the word to give God's word a chance. It's urgent."
But The Washington Post points out Bible related movies are "raking it in at the box office."
"Son of God, which opened in February, grossed more than $25 million when it first opened.
And Noah topped the box office charts when it hit theaters at the end of March, bringing in $44 million its opening weekend.
The American Bible Society of course hopes this uptake in "Bible skeptics" reverses. The president believes more people will eventually look to the Bible for answers to America's moral decline. (Via Religion News Service)
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- Easy and healthy soup recipes that are warming up TikTok
- Only have $100? Grab these boots that are perfect for fall
- Enjoy some sweet nostalgia with these homemade cereal recipes
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!