When you turn on the TV each night and watch the smiling, beautiful Maria Menounos on "Extra" it's easy to believe her Hollywood life is nothing but perfection. Bright lights, crimson red carpets and hobnobbing with the rich and famous, yes, but perfect? No.
In an exclusive one-on-one with AOL.com, Menounos reveals a painful period in her personal life when her family nearly turned its back on her for dating Italian-American boyfriend, Keven Undergaro. "It wasn't an easy situation," said Menounos. "He wasn't Greek so my dad was very upset, pretty much disowned me, took my education away... I was now pretty much homeless, no education, no degree, but I had Keven."
Undergaro called the early days of their relationship, "Romeo and Juliet without ending in full tragedy."
Menounos, 35, who can be seen showcasing the foibles of living with her family and boyfriend on her Oxygen reality show "Chasing Maria Menounos" says she's come a long way since her days living with Undergaro and chasing her Hollywood dreams from a basement in Boston. "There was a lady that we were close to growing up, " says Undergaro. "She was gracious enough to take us in and it was just an unfinished basement... "
Menounos says that it was in that basement, on a mattress on the floor surrounded by spiders where her dreams of Tinseltown came alive listening to Howard Stern's radio show. Determined to make her famous, Undergaro produced her resume tape and submitted it to a local news station. So began Menounos's road to stardom moving to LA and later becoming a correspondent for "Entertainment Tonight" and "Access Hollywood."
"The rest was history, " says Menounos. "My parents came out to visit. My dad apologized to Keven which I think is such a sign of, I don't know. I don't know a lot of men that can actually say they're sorry... It's so hard to give the whole story but it was really tragic and really, really hard. We spent so many nights clinging to each other crying and it was terrible."
Now a co-host of "Extra", author and co-star of her own reality show, the 35-year-old says she's hoping others will be inspired by her humble beginnings. "The opportunity with the show to kind of let people see that everything isn't always perfect and that they can overcome these kinds of obstacles too is really important. I think that getting to see where we started, where it all kind of began was important."
See where it all began as Menounos takes you back to her beginnings on "Chasing Maria Menounos" tonight at 10pm on Oxygen.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window stays open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Get your hands on one of these ‘You Are a Pink Starburst’ advent-st…
- TikTok chefs level up butternut squash recipes for fall
- Score a Cuisinart cookware set for 64% off on Amazon — it has 6 pots a…
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for September 2021