A three-alarm fire has destroyed a century-old wedding venue, and it happened right as a Massachusetts couple tied the knot Saturday.
Officials told WHDH a"careless disposal" of a cigarette near the building caused the blaze as wedding guests as well as the bride and groom were gathered inside the building.
The man who officiated the wedding in front of about 100 guests told The Boston Globe: "Literally as they were saying 'I do' we saw smoke. ... [The groom] didn't know what to say or what to do - he was angry and emotional."
Luckily, there were no injuries reported in the weekend fire. According to WBZ-TV, the 108-year-old venue didn't have any sprinklers. Officials say the building is being demolished.
WFXT reports dozens of other couples who had planned to get married at the venue later this year are now having to look elsewhere.
"Our wedding is on a Saturday in the middle of July - the busy season. We already booked our honeymoon. We don't know if we can get that money back. We sent out save the dates."
The building's owner told WHDH she's going to do what she can to help couples find other venues. Officials say they believe the fire was an accident. No one is expected to face charges.
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Refi Rates at 1.89% APR. Do you qualify?
- Make the Switch from a 30 to 15 Year Mortgage
- Your Best Refinance Rates for September 2021
- 5 recipes that scream ‘fall coziness’
- Vegan breakfast recipes that TikTokers love
- These were 3 of the biggest trends at NYFW — here’s how to get the loo…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!