HONIARA, Solomon Islands (AP) - Flash floods in the Solomon Islands have killed 14 people and left thousands more homeless, authorities said Saturday.
The death toll could rise further, with many people listed as missing, said government spokesman George Herming. As many as 15,000 people have had their homes destroyed or made uninhabitable, he said.
The South Pacific island nation is home to 600,000 people.
There were several days of rain before the Mataniko River in the capital, Honiara, burst its banks Thursday and flooded low-lying settlements alongside the river.
The flooding continued through Friday, and waters began to gradually recede Saturday, Herming said.
New Zealand's government has pledged 300,000 New Zealand dollars ($258,000) to the relief effort.
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- 5 cute and cozy short puffer jackets that’ll keep you warm all wint…
- Here’s where to buy the pearl name necklace Justin Bieber was spotted …
- TikToker shares Jersey Mike’s keto-friendly ‘sub in a tub’ hack: ‘OMG …
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for September 2021