Ever wondered why zebras have stripes? Well, the researchers behind a new study think they have a pretty good answer to that question.
WMAQ reports "California scientists say the animal's black and white pattern helps keep flies away by disrupting their vision and making it difficult for them to land." And WHDH says that "Apparently zebras are really susceptible because they have short hair."
The study was published in the scientific journal Nature Tuesday. In their summary posted on YouTube / Rachelle Zukerman, the scientists say they came to their conclusion after they couldn't find consistent evidence showing that the stripes could be used as camouflage or helping control "heat management."
National Geographic notes scientists have been trying to figure out the mystery of why zebras have their stripes for more than a century. The scientists in this most recent study used statistics to find their information rather than observations.
But a scientist from UCLA told USA Today statistics aren't enough: "We really need to know what happens with live zebras in the field before we can be sure."
Even without those observations, the scientists say the statistics provided pretty strong evidence.
A biologist who worked on the study told NBC: "I was surprised myself to see, again and again and again, greater intensity of striping on species and subspecies where we have this biting fly annoyance for months."
The study also found zebras that lived in areas with more aggressive bugs tended to have more stripes. (Via University of California Davis)
- Do This Before Your Next Mortgage Payment (it's genius)
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate now
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.04% APR (15 yr)
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tr…
- Key 30-year mortgage rate stays low, refinancing window still open
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Save on La Mer, Jo Malone and more luxury beauty brands during the …
- New dads vs. experienced dads — hilarious TikTok couple show the diffe…
- 5 jeans under $60 to get from Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program