The United States Army has banned certain hair styles, including corn rows. Some are calling the move racially biased against black women.
WRAL reports that "The new grooming rules went into effect Monday. They say soldiers cannot wear natural twists and braids can be no longer than a quarter inch."
Meanwhile, critics launched a White House petition March 20, which already has more than 6,500 signatures. Part of the petition reads, "These new changes are racially biased and the lack of regard for ethnic hair is apparent." WAGA says "Petitioners hope that the president will order the Army to reconsider those regulations."
WAWS spoke with a man who retired after 16 years in the Air Force and currently has a daughter serving in the Army. He says she pins her hair back up in her hat.
"When you get into trying to regulate culture, you cross a fine line. Generally, the people making the rules are people not affected by the rules." "Right now, more than 30 percent of women in the armed forces are minorities."
But according to The Huffington Post, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon said the hair grooming standards were "necessary to maintain uniformity within a military population."
The spokesman also noted many hairstyles are acceptable, and that headgear is expected to fit snug without bulgings.
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- People on TikTok are loving the Nike Bliss Luxe Pants for wearing t…
- 5 recipes that are a mint lover’s dream
- Jump-start your mornings with these easy breakfast bar recipes
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!