Inez Garcia went missing in 1952 and was never found. But after discovering some bone fragments buried in her late husband's garage, police believe they might be able to solve her cold case.
The Santa Fe Police Department reported in 1952 that Juan Garcia, Inez's husband, told police that the couple got into an argument after leaving a bar. While driving home, Inez Garcia jumped out of the car and walked away -- never to be seen again.
But the Albuquerque Journal cites an article published in 1954, more than a year after Garcia's disappearance, that tells a different story.
According to the 1954 article, "After a night of drinking, she was last seen leaving a downtown bar following a stranger who had just appeared." The article also says Garcia was "very drunk" and that her friends told her husband.
Though the story of what happened before Garcia's disappearance varies, there are a few hard facts, one of which is that Garcia's husband would not allow anyone in the garage while he was alive, not even his kids.
According to Fox News, the police viewed the husband as a person of interest but reportedly never had enough evidence to get a search warrant. The case was reopened by a Santa Fe detective in January who tracked down the current owner of the property asking to dig in the garage.
"We found about four pieces of bone fragment," the detective told KRQE. "We took those to the office of the medical investigator, and he said it was possible they are human."
When police discovered the bones could be human they were sent to a specialty lab in Texas where they will be tested further. Police say the tests could take up to two months.
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits highest point since 2009
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Mom waits until son’s wedding day to reveal childhood gift’s ’embar…
- TikToker turns leftover coffee into dessert
- 5 TikTok takes on the Korean lunch box cake that are almost too cute t…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!