By: Jacob Cavanah
SAN DIEGO – The No. 8 Gonzaga Bulldogs stand between another Arizona Wildcat Sweet 16 appearance. Head coach Mark Few's team is in the tournament for the 16th consecutive season.
Gonzaga beat Marcus Smart and the No. 9 Oklahoma State Cowboys 85-77 Friday. Guard Kevin Pangos led the Bulldogs with 26 points along with six rebounds and three assists.
Head coach Sean Miller's Wildcats are aware Gonzaga is a legitimate threat to advancing.
After the first round victory guard Nick Johnson said, "We're not the No .1 defensive team in the country because we let teams back in the game. We're trying to do what we do. We just have to play and do what we are, and everything will take care of itself."
Gonzaga recognizes Arizona's a huge threat, despite its Friday's late game struggles.
"It's impressive with their front line and Nick Johnson has had an amazing year," Few said postgame. "They're a No. 1 seed for a reason."
The two teams played in the second round of the 2002-03 tournament in a similar situation that ended in an Arizona double-overtime victory. Arizona was a No. 1 seed and Gonzaga was No. 9.
This anticipated second round matchup is Sunday at 6:40 PT.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window is still open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Mom tries to film cute video of baby, then dad hilariously ‘ruins’ …
- Decadent Halloween dishes that serve up some culinary magic
- How the pros achieve perfect glowy makeup
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!