As far as archeological finds go - this one is pretty rare.
"A 3,200-year-old skeleton with cancer. ... The remains of the wealthy man, believed to be around 30 when he died, were found close to the Nile River."
British scientists who made the find say it's the oldest example of cancer ever discovered.
KHQ-TV reports the skeleton was found in a Sudanese tomb, and showed a malignant soft-tumor cancer that had spread to several bones, including the man's shoulder blades, upper arms and collar bone.
So why's this such a big deal? Cancer is largely thought of as a modern-day ailment, but a BBC reporter got to take a first hand look at the discovery, and says scientists have big hopes for what they can learn from it.
"These bones suggest that the disease has its roots much deeper in our past and that is something that could be useful to medical researchers trying to combat cancer."
In fact the lead author of the study called cancer's history so far quote "almost unknown" - pointing out there are very few known examples of the disease before the first millennium AD.
As Daily Mail points out, researchers still don't know what caused the man's cancer, but they've theorized carcinogens from wood fire smoke or genetic factors could be possibilities.
The researchers' findings can be found in the science journal PLOS One.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Walmart is selling a ‘Stranger Things’ cassette player, and yes, it…
- Here’s where to buy the pore-cleaning mousse that’s taking TikTok by s…
- These No. 1 best-selling fleece jackets are less than $25 on Amazon
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!