Police officers are there to watch over citizens, and now technology is helping citizens watch over the officers - and anyone they come in contact with.
CNN reports more and more cities are trying out body-mounted cameras for officers to wear while on duty. The Los Angeles Police Department is already using it, while the New York Police Department is reportedly "reviewing" the cameras.
Denver's police department is getting them too. (Via KCNC)
(SWV) - KCNC 30 -
"Individuals make allegations of 'The officer did this' or 'The officer did that' or the officer makes allegations that 'I did this' or 'I did that based on the incident that I was involved in.' It's right there on the camera."
The cameras come in a couple different forms. KABC reports they can be attached to an officer's sunglasses or clipped onto the shirt in the shoulder or chest area.
(VO) - taser international pics
Supporters of the officer-cameras say they help with gathering evidence and can sometimes stop excessive and unnecessary force from officers. (Via TASER International)
But opponents say the constant filming poses a serious privacy risk, since many innocent people could be picked up by the cameras.
Overall, the ACLU vouches for the practice, saying as long as the policies dealing with major issues, like when the cameras are turned on and what happens to the footage, are smart, body-mounted cameras are "a win for all."
A police chief in California told CNN that in just one year of using the cameras, complaints against the department's officers dropped from 60 to just three.
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Refi Rates at 1.89% APR. Do you qualify?
- Make the Switch from a 30 to 15 Year Mortgage
- Your Best Refinance Rates for September 2021
- Vegan breakfast recipes that TikTokers love
- These were 3 of the biggest trends at NYFW — here’s how to get the loo…
- Learn how to turn regular kitchen sponges into a cute purse
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!