Four CVS stores are under federal investigation after a considerable amount of prescription narcotics allegedly went missing. HLN has more.
'How do you lose more than 37,000 painkillers? The DEA says that that many hydrocodone tablets are missing right now from four CVS stores in northern California.'
Due to the differences between CVS's records and its inventory of the prescription drug, the company could be facing a hefty fine.
'CVS could be fined $29 million if the charges turn out to be true.'
That's just the beginning of the investigation. Los Angeles Times reports officials are describing the missing painkillers as signs of other problems:
'In some cases, the drugs have gone missing because pharmacists 'self-medicate,' they said. But in most cases, the officials said lower-level pharmacy workers, such as technicians, have made off with the drugs and then sold them to others.'
Hydrocodone is sold under brand names such as Vicodin and Norco, and they're not cheap on the black market.
In 2011, CNN looked into how much prescription drugs sell for on the streets. The outlet found hydrocodone can be sold from anywhere between $5 to $20 per pill.
The Los Angeles Times says CVS has instructed its other stores in Southern California to 'get their paperwork in order.'
- Latest HELOC news: Rates back away from 8%
- Latest mortgage news: Rates inch down again, stay below 7%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Borrow From Your Home, Not The Bank ($25k for $168/month)
- Need Cash For The Holidays? How To Unlock Your Home's Equity
- $50k HE Loan in this Economy? 5.49% APR ($284/mo)
- CookUnity is unlike any other meal delivery service — in fact, dish…
- You need these reusable rainbow baking cups if you plan to make cupcak…
- This company provides free 30-minute photoshoots, and you just pay for…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!