(Reuters) - Investors are more likely to put money into a businessidea pitched by a man than a woman, and even more so if the man is good looking, according to a new study.
The research, published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and authored by researchers from MIT, Harvard and the Wharton School, reveals that a good idea and an experienced presenter are not always enough to win the financial backing required for a successful start-up.
"Our research (...) documents other critical criteria that investors use to make these decisions: the gender and physical attractiveness of the entrepreneurs themselves," it said.
The study examined several business pitches, both at real pitch competitions in the United States and in a controlled experiment setting, in which the content of the pitches was the same but the presenters were different.
It found investors "prefer pitches presented by male entrepreneurs compared with pitches made by female entrepreneurs, even when the content of the pitch is the same."
It added that "attractive males were particularly persuasive, whereas physical attractiveness did not matter among female entrepreneurs."
The authors said the study was significant because of the important role that entrepreneurship plays in U.S. economic growth and prosperity and because the survival of a start-up depends heavily on finding investors.
(Reporting by Richard Valdmanis; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Refi Rates at 1.89% APR. Do you qualify?
- Make the Switch from a 30 to 15 Year Mortgage
- Your Best Refinance Rates for September 2021
- 5 tools to help you make better meals and snacks in any dorm room
- This $200 gadget turns water into ‘any’ flavor
- These edible shot glass recipes are reason enough to throw a party
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!