A convicted killer in Illinois has had a recent victory in court, "Fox & Friends" explains.
"$500,000. That's how much money a man convicted of murdering seven people was awarded in Chicago after suing a prison guard for beating him."
WBBM calls James Degorski is "one of the most notorious murderers in Chicago history." Back in 1993, Degorski and another man killed seven employees at a local restaurant during a robbery.
After years behind bars, Degorski filed a lawsuit for civil rights violations. He says a deputy beat him so badly in 2002 that he had to have corrective surgery because of fractures in his face.
But according to WGN-TV, laws might prevent Degorski from getting the money a federal jury awarded him.
The Chicago Sun-Times says family members could potentially sue to get part of the money.
WLS-TV notes it's even possible prison officials could use the money to pay for Degorski's sentence.
A woman whose parents were both murdered by Degorski in 1993 told WMAQ the ruling doesn't change what happened to her mom and dad.
"This doesn't change anything. It in no way vindicates or exonerates any of his cowardly actions. We continue being a loving family."
One victim's father told the Chicago Sun-Times it's "outrageous" that the jury awarded Degorski the money. Another victim's father said he was glad the deputy beat Degorski.
Degorski is currently serving a life sentence.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window is still open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Tasty vegan pies that should be on your dessert menu
- People can’t get over how comfy these $40 sneakers are: ‘It feels like…
- Easy and inexpensive dinner ideas under $25
- 0% APR Card Offer Now Lasts Until 2023
- Want To Travel Practically Free? Get This Card Now
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for October 2021