A high school cheerleader and honor student in New Jersey left home over a family dispute when she turned 18. That was last October. Now she's suing her parents for money to go to college.
According to News 12 New Jersey, Morris Catholic High School senior Rachel Canning says that her parents kicked her out last year. Rachel's dad, a former Linden Park police chief, says that his daughter voluntarily moved out.
Canning, who left her parents' house on her 18th birthday, is currently staying with a friend's family. That friend's dad is currently funding a lawsuit seeking financial support from her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, accusing them of flouting their legal obligations as Rachel Canning's guardians.
The Daily Record reports the dispute began over Canning's resistance to her family's household rules. Her dad told the paper, "We're heartbroken, but what do you do when a child says, 'I don't want your rules, but I want everything under the sun and you to pay for it'?"
As the Daily Mail notes, the current legal dispute is about whether Canning has emancipated herself from her parents' care, and thus dissolved their legal duty to provide for her. New Jersey law doesn't automatically emancipate minors who turn 18.
The Mail quotes Canning's lawyer, who "says her client has not 'moved beyond (her parents') sphere of influence' and per New Jersey law may be deemed non-emancipated. ... But the attorney for Mr. and Mrs. Canning ... is claiming Rachel removed herself from that 'sphere of influence' when she voluntary left her parents' home."
In addition to access to a college tuition fund, Canning is also suing her parents for the cost of a $5,000 unpaid high school bill, transportation and living expenses, and legal fees that have so far totaled more than $12,000.
- Latest mortgage news: Rates jump to their highest since March 2020
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Your Best Refinance Rates for January 2022
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Delicious no-cheese dinner recipes from TikTok
- Dad reveals newborn to family with an ‘epic’ socially distanced debut:…
- Mom captures toddler’s ‘full spectrum’ of emotions in just 45 seconds
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!