On Jan. 7, 2013, John Eggers was diagnosed with glioblastoma stage 4. His doctors told him he had less that a 10 percent chance to live another five years, so he started living life to the fullest and recording every moment on his iPhone -- including brain surgery.
Now, John Eggers has created a documentary to show that for him, living life is the best way to combat death. So far, he's traveled to Australia, caught up with his favorite teenage band (Depeche Mode) and met Vice President Joe Biden.
"It's like waiting for a ticking time bomb to go off in my head," Eggers said. "I am terminal. There is no cure for it."
Without treatment, people in Eggers' situation can live for three months. With treatment, it's 12-15 months from diagnosis.
The official statistic is that less than 10 percent of patients survive five years.
"I want to live a better life, I want to live a happy life ... and be able to give back," Eggers said. The once sharp-witted attorney often gets lost in his thoughts now: that's a side effect of the glioblastoma. Due to seizures he can't drive or work, and part of his face is paralyzed.
Still, Eggers said that the "death sentence" actually saved his life in a strange way. Eggers said that before this diagnosis, he "thought about myself a lot," and didn't think of others often. "I'm not proud of that."
Today, Eggers spends his time at Walks for a Cure and focuses on working through his life's to-do list.
"The only thing I can hope is that ultimately, this entire story is going to help somebody."
Eggers said he's "not on cloud nine, not in the ground -- I'm just here." Eggers wants everyone to learn from his situation and live each day as if it's your last.
Eggers urges people to start small with their own to-do list and start fulfilling dreams no matter what your situation is.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window is still open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Decadent Halloween dishes that serve up some culinary magic
- How the pros achieve perfect glowy makeup
- KkCo makes fashion that’s functional, playful and thoughtfully designe…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!