An Aspen socialite is on trial for first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder after her ex-husband died from a bomb planted in his car. The crimes happened back in 1996. "Good Morning America" has more on the case that took 17 years to come to trial.
'Prosecutors say 56-year-old Pamela Phillips was accustomed to a lavish lifestyle.'
They say while she was married to real estate developer Gary Triano, she was treated to fancy cars and homes. After their divorce, the fortune began to dwindle.
Phillips allegedly hired a former boyfriend to kill her former husband with a car bomb.
Prosecutors allege Phillips' motive was to collect on Triano's $2 million life insurance policy.
According to the Arizona Daily Star, prosecutors accuse Phillips of paying Ronald Young $400,000 to kill her ex-husband. Young fled after Triano's death, but was arrested in 2005. In 2010, he was tried and convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder.
Authorities also found documents making Phillips, who had moved abroad, an additional suspect.
'Authorities say she knew she was wanted, and through her attorneys said she would be turning herself in. She never did. She was arrested and extradited,' KVOA reports.
At the time, a judge found Phillips unfit to stand trial. But now, years later, the trial is underway and one man who was with Triano right before he died is taking the stand. Here's KGUN.
'Luis Ruben Lopez and Triano played a round of golf at the La Paloma Country Club. Lopez said he shook triano's hand in the parking lot, said goodbye and walked to his car. That's when he heard the explosion,' KGUN reported.
Triano died almost immediately from the planted pipe bomb. Phillips has pleaded not guilty, and the trial is expected to last six weeks.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window is still open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Decadent Halloween dishes that serve up some culinary magic
- How the pros achieve perfect glowy makeup
- KkCo makes fashion that’s functional, playful and thoughtfully designe…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!