If you think you need more Amazon in your life, fear not. The online retail giant could soon play a vital role in your living room.
According to tech blog Re/code, Amazon's long-awaited set-top TV streaming box, set to be released this March, will take advantage of the site's instant video service.
The box, code-named "Cinnamon," would run a modified version of Google's Android operating system, similar to Amazon's Android-based Kindle e-reader.
Competing directly with Apple TV and streamer Roku, the box would take advantage of Amazon's recent foray into original programming. The site's instant video service has more than 150,000 selections which gives it a unique edge over the competition.
But insiders at CNBC are worried a possible price increase from $20 to $40 for Instant Video could squash enthusiasm for the device.
"If they do that it potentially makes their video offering a little less compelling, because you have to be a Prime member to see this stuff," CNBC reported. "So it'll be really interesting to see how they do that."
It's also possible Amazon's box will double as a gaming system. The retailer bought Double Helix Games in early February and posed an ad on LinkedIn for a graphics developer in January.
Amazon's already an industry leader in online retail and e-books, so could television and movies be on the way?
Security analyst Michael Pachter told The Wall Street Journal that the move isn't surprising.
"This fits into their vision of dominating the competition in every area," Pachter said.
Of course, this is all unofficial since, as usual, Amazon declined to comment.
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Easy and healthy soup recipes that are warming up TikTok
- Only have $100? Grab these boots that are perfect for fall
- Enjoy some sweet nostalgia with these homemade cereal recipes
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap