The Pennsylvania teen charged in the murder of a man she met on Craigslist admitted Friday to killing dozens more during the last six years.
But many say they just aren't buying Miranda Barbour's latest story.
"We haven't established yet that she's a serial killer. There are plenty of people who have taken credit for crimes they didn't do."
Nineteen-year-old Barbour and her newlywed husband originally pleaded not guilty in the death of Troy LaFerrara, who was found stabbed to death in an alley back in November. (Via ABC)
But police say she lured 42-year-old LaFerrara in with a Craigslist ad offering sexual favors for $100 on the couple's three-week wedding anniversary because they wanted to kill someone together.
And during an interview with The Daily Item from her prison cell Friday, Barbour said she wants to change her plea to guilty - and says she has killed at least 22 other people as part of her involvement in a satanic cult.
Francis Scarcella, the reporter for the Daily Item said, "You can take all of the numbers that she threw around and all of that out. But the more surprising thing to me would be the fact that she said if she got out she would do it again."
Police later told the paper that they have contacted the FBI and authorities in other states about Barbour's shocking admission, and an investigation is now underway. And while Barbour has claimed membership in a satanic cult, no group has stepped forward to recognize her as a member.
A representative for the Church of Satan told CNN, "Thorough investigation will likely demonstrate that this cult story is fiction."
And authorities not associated with the investigation have also expressed their skepticism.
"It isn't the work of a serial killer. Serial killers are organized offenders. This is just a disorganized robbery gone bad. It almost sounds like she's trying to make herself into something that she's not."
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for both Barbour and her husband. The couple's attorneys have requested their clients undergo psychiatric evaluation before standing trial.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 2.03% APR (15 yr)
- Forget Your 401k if you Own a Home (Do This)
- Make the Switch from a 30 to 15 Year Mortgage
- 5 three-ingredient summer slushies: ‘That looks so refreshing!’
- Mom is praised for huge, ‘beautiful’ blended family with ex-husband: ‘…
- This father-daughter sing-a-long has TikTok beaming: ‘I was having a b…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!