As humans we tend to consider ourselves to be unique snowflakes, all with our own distinct feelings and emotions -- but a new study says we may not actually have that many emotions to choose from.
The research from the University of Glasgow says that humans have just four basic emotions: that's down from the six humans were believed to have.
Traditionally, those included happiness, surprise, fear, disgust, anger and sadness - but after observing reactions to faces exemplifying those emotions, researchers now say there's some overlap.
To get to their findings, researchers had participants examine computer-generated facial-animations, then categorize them into one of the six emotions.
What they found was anger and disgust, as well as fear and surprise, looked very similar to the participants at first glance - and it took a minute to discern the difference.
So, what does that tell the researchers?
According to a writer for The Atlantic, researchers surmised that humans only have four biologically-based facial signals, with additional nuances evolving in response to social cues.
She quotes the study authors who wrote,"Our data reﬂect that the six basic facial expressions of emotion, like languages, are likely to represent a more complex set of modern signals and categories evolved from a simpler system of communication in early man."
According to the study, that leaves us with the four basic emotions of:
3) Hybrids of fear and surprise
4) Hybrids of anger and disgust
Their research was published in the journal Current Biology.
- Tasty vegan pies that should be on your dessert menu
- People can’t get over how comfy these $40 sneakers are: ‘It feels like…
- Easy and inexpensive dinner ideas under $25
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Hilarious Kid Answers To Test Questions
- These Cake Messages Are Wrong In So Many Ways
- These Pregnancy Announcements Are Brilliantly Hilarious
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window is still open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money