Authorities in Spain just found a ton of cocaine. And yes, it's a 'ton' of cocaine, but it's also just literally one ton of cocaine.
"They found nearly a ton of cocaine in large backpacks in the Mediterranean Sea. Those packs were equipped with a flotation system designed to keep them below the surface without sinking."
One ton amounts to 2,000 lbs. And you heard that part about these backpacks being equipped with a "flotation system" - CNN reports Spanish authorities are calling this a "sophisticated" operation.
They seized 37 packs, all tagged with satellite tracking devices, and amounting to nearly 2,000 lbs. of cocaine. Also seized were 72,000 euros, or about $97,000, three cars, jewelry, watches and more.
This smuggling ring had been tracked since last May. It seems the backpacks were being used to smuggle drugs along Spain's Meditteranean coast. This is the latest in a string of international cocaine busts.
In January, Britain's Royal Navy seized 1.25 tons of cocaine from a speedboat in the Caribbean - an amount worth tens of millions of dollars. (Via The Telegraph)
The U.S. Coast Guard had first spotted the boat, and called that seizure - which made up 45 bales of cocaine - "historic."
"The wholesale value is estimated at about $37 million. The street value is three times that amount - close to $111 million."
And just a few days ago came reports of the discovery of 1,600 lbs. of cocaine in a truck in Costa Rica.
As for this latest case, according to various reports, five arrests have been made so far.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window is still open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Decadent Halloween dishes that serve up some culinary magic
- How the pros achieve perfect glowy makeup
- KkCo makes fashion that’s functional, playful and thoughtfully designe…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!