The handlers for groundhog Punxsutawney Phil say he's forecasting six more weeks of what already has felt like a brutally long and cold winter. Pennsylvania's famed furry weatherman emerged from his lair in front of thousands of fans around daybreak Sunday.
Legend has it that if the adorable rodent sees his shadow on Feb. 2, winter will last another month-and-a-half. If he doesn't see it, spring will come early. In reality, Phil's prediction is decided ahead of time by a group called the Inner Circle, whose members don top hats and tuxedos for the annual Groundhog Day ceremony on Gobbler's Knob, the tiny hill in the town for which he's named about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
Phil's track record is less than reliable. He's only gotten it right just 39 percent of the time since 1887, but it's always fun to take a look back at his predictions through the years.
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window stays open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Indulge your inner Francophile with these yummy galette recipes
- 5 warm and toasty drinks for a cozy cocktail hour
- More than 11,000 Amazon shoppers have given this stylish sweater a 5-s…
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap