Two DC firefighters are on leave after reportedly doing nothing while a man had a heart attack and died across the street from the fire station. HLN talked to the daughter of 77-year-old Cecil Mills.
'It's heartless, and that's how I felt because the person stood there and did nothing to help. I even ran to the curb and said 'are you going to help me or are you going to let my dad die?' This goes against what firefighting is all about.'
The response she got: 'That firefighter told them no one could respond until someone called 911 and they were dispatched. That ambulance went in the wrong direction by more than two dozen blocks.'
Now, DC officials are questioning how this could have happened.
At a press conference Wednesday, Mayor Vincent Gray said the incident is 'an outrage,' and the firefighters failed to show 'common decency.' He also said those who failed to respond will be held accountable.
One of those is Lt. Kellene Davis, who was in charge at the time. She's one of the firefighters on leave. WJLA obtained a letter from her to the fire chief.
'She says firefighter G. Murphy told her someone had fallen across the street so she asked him to get an address and said she'd be right there but he never returned with an address.'
But according to the outlet, sources say Davis' story differs considerably from Murphy's.
The two firefighters will remain on leave until officials have completed their investigation.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window stays open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- Today only, this best-selling air purifier is more than $100 off on…
- Indulge your inner Francophile with these yummy galette recipes
- 5 warm and toasty drinks for a cozy cocktail hour
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!