A new credit card scam has surfaced. The Better Business Bureau says credit card users should be looking for a small and specific amount of money that might have been stolen.
HLN explains that 'if you see a charge for $9.84 on your credit card statement, you may have been scammed. And for some reason, the sum of $9.84 keeps cropping up.'
But, why would thieves go after such a small amount of money? 'Good Morning America' says it's, well, hard to notice.
'Scammers are now testing stolen credit card numbers by charging small amounts on them at first. ... Scammers apparently believing most will overlook such a small amount on an itemized bill.'
An anchor at KHOU called the small charge $9.84 a quote 'sneaky' way to steal money.
The BBB put out a national alert on the matter Monday - and instructed people to call their banks if they see the charges.
'Victims report calling the 'customer support' site and receiving verbal confirmation that the charge would be canceled. However, don't take the scammers at their word.'
And it turns out we have a pretty good idea of 'whodunnit', too.
CNN reports a cybersecurity journalist was able to trace the hack to two men in Cyprus.
Journalist Brian Krebs used to work for The Washington Post. In an article published almost two weeks ago, Krebs said he got many complaints about the small charges during the holiday season, but added the $9.84 charge had actually been popping up on many accounts since early last year.
The Better Business Bureau has advised credit card users to check their statements for the possible charge and warns thieves could use the cards again to steal more money. So far, no word on how many people this has affected.
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- 5 cute and cozy short puffer jackets that’ll keep you warm all wint…
- Here’s where to buy the pearl name necklace Justin Bieber was spotted …
- TikToker shares Jersey Mike’s keto-friendly ‘sub in a tub’ hack: ‘OMG …
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!