The only highway in the small city of Valdez, Alaska has been blocked by several avalanches, cutting off access. Listen to this from 'Fox & Friends':
'4,000 people in the state of Alaska are being told at this hour 'pack your bags.' They may have to evacuate their homes because two avalanches have cut off their town to the outside world.'
HLN reports residents won't have to worry about how to access food, at least, since help is on the way.'Authorities say that the road could be closed for at least a week, maybe longer. There's enough gas and heating oil to last a while, but food and supplies are being brought in on barges.'
'Good Morning America' anchor Josh Elliott explains that the a delay in re-opening the only road into the city is partially due to some 30-feet of ice and snow.
Media reports say The Alaska Department of Transportation called the avalanches some of the biggest ever seen in the area. Anchorage Daily News reports the avalanches struck Richardson Highway on Friday.
The city has also asked the Alaska Marine Highway Service to increase ferry service.
So far, no injuries have been reported.
- Latest mortgage rates: A retreat for rates extends refinancing oppo…
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 1.98% APR (15 yr)
- Easy and healthy soup recipes that are warming up TikTok
- Only have $100? Grab these boots that are perfect for fall
- Enjoy some sweet nostalgia with these homemade cereal recipes
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!