Olympic speed skater Tucker Fredricks, 29, has asked his family to stay behind when he competes in the Sochi Olympics next month.
Though Fredricks' family has gone to the Olympics with him before, he's requested that his wife and parents stay home because he doesn't want to worry about their safety.
'Good Morning America' spoke with Fredricks' parents, Dan and Shawn, who said they wanted to go and support their son -- but they totally understand his concern.
'He wanted us to stay home, so that he wouldn't have to worry about us. One less thing to be concerned about,' they said. Since they've been supporting Tucker's skating career since he was 11, it's hard to miss out on any event. 'It was kinda bittersweet,' they told 'GMA.'
The Olympian isn't the only one concerned. The US and Russia have been conducting security talks for months.
Concerns heightened over the weekend, when a threatening video surfaced online. As CNN reports, the video features two young men believed to be suicide bombers. They're heard making direct threats on the Olympic Games. This follows bombings last month in the city of Volgograd.
Russian officials have acknowledged the threat, but have continued to say the Olympic security team is prepared.
Either way, Fredricks' family will be staying home this time around. They watched him in both the 2006 and 2010 games. The Olympics in Sochi kick off February 7th.
- 30-year mortgage rate dips again to 3%. Time for a refinance.
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Can you refinance with $0 out of pocket?
- Refinance rates at 2.02% APR. Calculate your rate now
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Heading back to the office? Swipe these 6 plus-size work pants befo…
- I tried the softest, bounciest running shoes, and I wear them everywhe…
- Shoppers are replacing their Le Creuset Dutch ovens with this cheaper,…
- 0% APR Card Offer Now Lasts Until 2023
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Make Money Moves With These Cards in 2021