Sure, you're all bundled up ... but is your house ready to weather these frigid temperatures?
To prevent your pipes from freezing, keep a fan or furnace running near exposed pipes. If your main waterline pipe is behind a wall, leave your water running slightly. Turn on the faucet in your kitchen sink and let it drip a little bit, because that sink is likely next to a window and an outside wall. While you're at it, open the cabinets beneath the sink to let in the warm, heated air of your home.
Don't forget to go outside and make sure your hose is disconnected from your outside faucet. It'll be unpleasant, but it's be worth it. A plumber that FOX59 spoke with said that many people forget this part of home maintenance, and it can cause a huge mess later. A flooded basement could do $10,000-$75,000 worth of damage when all is said and done.
He also noted that many people are complaining of leaking pipes coming from a water heater, which happens when cold water comes into your home and makes pipes expand and contract.
Oh, and don't forget about your car! It's unsafe to let your gas tank dip below a quarter of a tank.
Though the video (and professionals) don't make any mention of hot chocolate, we heartily endorse getting yourself a nice, steaming cup after all that work.
Have any other tried-and-true cold weather tips? Share 'em with us in the comments!
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Tons of Hasbro toys and games are up to 30% off on Amazon today — s…
- Nicole Richie curated a boho-chic Etsy collection for the holidays fea…
- TikTok discovered a mascara that gives you lashes long enough to touch…
- 0% APR Card Offer Now Lasts Until 2023
- Want To Travel Practically Free? Get This Card Now
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for October 2021