'Antiques Roadshow' was back in Boise, Idaho, where a woman brought in a necklace she had inherited from her mother.
Her mother had actually inherited the necklace from a friend who passed away, and they knew very little about it. The woman's mother found the necklace about 15 years ago, but had no idea exactly how long she had had it.
Appraiser Peter J. Shemonsky said he would 'date the piece about 1918, 1920. The piece is made of platinum, it's set throughout with diamonds, both round diamonds and baguettes. But the real star of this piece is this stone right in the center. This red stone.'
That would, of course, be a ruby -- specifically an unheated, three carat Burmese ruby, something the appraiser said was very rare in the colored gemstone market. There's a huge demand for Burmese rubies, so the necklace was valued between $80,000 and $100,000. The woman was speechless.
Tweeters couldn't believe the value -- one saying the stunning piece looked like something out of 'Downton Abbey.'
Or perhaps it's something fit for a queen? Queen Elizabeth's tiara is actually made out of the same precious stones.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- This baby’s reaction to bath time gets cuter and cuter
- Those viral ‘peel and reveal’ lip stains are on sale today on Amazon
- ‘Now that our kid isn’t a baby anymore, my wife and I can’t agree on b…
- 0% APR Card Offer Now Lasts Until 2023
- Want To Travel Practically Free? Get This Card Now
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for October 2021