Guidewire Software Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2013 Financial Results
Guidewire Software Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2013 Financial Results
FOSTER CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Guidewire Software, Inc. (NYS: GWRE) , a provider of software products for property and casualty insurers, today announced its financial results for the fiscal quarter and fiscal year ended July 31, 2013.
"Revenue and profitability exceeded our expectations in the fourth quarter, contributing to full year revenue growth of 30% and trailing twelve month recurring revenue growth of 44%," said Marcus Ryu, Chief Executive Officer of Guidewire Software. "Investments in sales, delivery and new products helped us to advance our market leadership position in fiscal 2013 by expanding our customer base, including several key Tier 1 wins and our 50th PolicyCenter customer. We also achieved more multi-product and Suite transactions than last year and achieved the milestone of bringing our 100th customer into live production."
Ryu added, "We believe it is still early days in the global P/C insurance industry's generational transition from decades-old legacy systems to flexible, upgradeable platforms for their core operations. We plan to continue to invest in expanding both our product and sale capabilities in fiscal 2014 to capitalize on this significant opportunity."
Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2013 Financial Highlights
- Total revenue for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013 was $96.9 million, an increase of 43% from the comparable period in fiscal 2012.
- Total license revenue, including term and perpetual licenses, for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013 was $49.1 million, an increase of 70% from the comparable period in fiscal 2012. Recurring term license revenue was $44.9 million, a 64% increase from a year ago and revenue from perpetual licenses was $4.2 million compared with $1.6 million a year ago. Maintenance revenue was $9.9 million, up 26% from the comparable period in fiscal 2012, and services revenue was $38.0 million, up 23% from the comparable period in fiscal 2012.
- Rolling four-quarter recurring term license and maintenance revenue was $150.4 million, an increase of 44% from the comparable period in fiscal 2012.
- GAAP operating income was $16.2 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013, compared to $5.3 million in the comparable period in fiscal 2012.
- Non-GAAP operating income was $26.5 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013, compared to $9.6 million in the comparable period in fiscal 2012.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $27.8 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013, compared to $10.4 million in the comparable period in fiscal 2012.
- GAAP net income was $12.1 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013, compared to $3.5 million for the comparable period in fiscal 2012. GAAP earnings per share was $0.19, based on diluted weighted average shares outstanding of 62.5 million, compared to $0.06 for the comparable period in fiscal 2012, based on diluted weighted average shares outstanding of 61.2 million.
- Non-GAAP net income was $15.6 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013, compared to $6.4 million in the comparable period in fiscal 2012. Non-GAAP net income per diluted share was $0.25, based on diluted weighted average shares outstanding of 62.5 million, compared to $0.10 for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012, based on diluted weighted average shares outstanding of 61.2 million.
Fiscal 2013 Financial Highlights
- Total revenue for the fiscal year ended July 31, 2013 was $300.6 million, an increase of 30% from fiscal 2012.
- License revenue for fiscal 2013 was $123.6 million, an increase of 27% from fiscal 2012. Recurring term license revenue was $112.9 million, a 51% increase from a year ago and revenue from perpetual licenses was $10.7 million compared with $22.3 million a year ago. Maintenance revenue was $37.6 million, an increase of 27% from the year ago period, and services revenue was $139.5 million, an increase of 32% from the year ago period.
- In fiscal 2013, 57% of total revenue was in the United States, and 43% was generated outside the United States.
- GAAP operating income was $16.8 million for fiscal 2013, compared to $23.6 million in fiscal 2012.
- Non-GAAP operating income was $55.6 million for fiscal 2013, an increase of 33% from fiscal 2012.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $60.1 million for fiscal 2013, an increase of 34% from fiscal 2012.
- GAAP net income was $15.4 million for fiscal 2013, compared to $15.2 million for fiscal 2012. GAAP earnings per diluted share was $0.25, based on diluted weighted average shares outstanding of 61.9 million, compared to $0.25 in fiscal 2012, based on diluted weighted average shares outstanding of 41.5 million.
- Non-GAAP net income was $38.5 million in fiscal 2013, an increase of 42% from fiscal 2012. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share was $0.62, based on diluted weighted average shares outstanding of 61.9 million, compared to $0.50 in fiscal 2012, based on pro forma diluted weighted average shares outstanding of 53.8 million.
- The Company had $207.7 million in cash, cash equivalents and investments at July 31, 2013, compared to $203.6 million at April 30, 2013. The Company generated $24.4 million in cash flow from operations in the fourth quarter, compared to $19.1 million in the comparable period in fiscal 2012. The Company generated $32.5 million in cash flow from operations in fiscal 2013, compared to $17.1 million in the comparable period in fiscal 2012.
Conference Call Information
|What:||Guidewire Software fourth quarter fiscal 2013 financial results conference call|
|When:||Tuesday, September 3, 2013|
|Time:||2:00 p.m. PT (5:00 p.m. ET)|
|Live Call:||(877) 852-6575, domestic|
|(719) 325-4816, international|
|Replay:||(877) 870-5176, passcode 3709788, domestic|
|(858) 384-5517, passcode 3709788, international|
http://ir.guidewire.com (live and replay)
The webcast will be archived on Guidewire's website for a period of three months.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This press release contains the following non-GAAP financial measures: Non-GAAP operating income, Adjusted EBITDA, Non-GAAP net income and Non-GAAP earnings per share.
Guidewire believes that these non-GAAP measures of financial results provide useful information to management and investors regarding certain financial and business trends relating to Guidewire's financial condition and results of operations. The Company's management uses these non-GAAP measures to compare the company's performance to that of prior periods for trend analyses, for purposes of determining executive and senior management incentive compensation and for budgeting and planning purposes. The Company believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides an additional tool for investors to use in evaluating ongoing operating results and trends and in comparing the Company's financial measures with other software companies, many of which present similar non-GAAP financial measures to investors.
Management of the Company does not consider these non-GAAP measures in isolation or as an alternative to financial measures determined in accordance with GAAP. The principal limitation of these non-GAAP financial measures is that they exclude significant expenses and income that are required by GAAP to be recorded in the Company's financial statements. In addition, they are subject to inherent limitations as they reflect the exercise of judgment by management about which expenses and income are excluded or included in determining these non-GAAP financial measures. In order to compensate for these limitations, management presents non-GAAP financial measures in connection with GAAP results. Guidewire urges investors to review the reconciliation of its non-GAAP financial measures to the comparable GAAP financial measures, which it includes in press releases announcing quarterly financial results, including this press release, and not to rely on any single financial measure to evaluate the Company's business.
Reconciliation tables of the most comparable GAAP financial measures to the non-GAAP financial measures used in this press release are included with the financial tables at the end of this release.
About Guidewire Software
Guidewire Software is a provider of software products for Property/Casualty insurers. Designed to be flexible and scalable, Guidewire products enable insurers to deliver excellent service, increase market share and lower operating costs. Guidewire products include Guidewire InsuranceSuite™, consisting of Guidewire PolicyCenter®, Guidewire ClaimCenter® and Guidewire BillingCenter® which span the core functional areas in insurance; Guidewire LiveSM, a cloud-based network connecting peer insurers, core system data and expert tools through instant on apps; Guidewire DataHub™ and Guidewire InfoCenter™ which help insurers address their data management and business intelligence challenges. Guidewire is headquartered in Foster City, California, with offices in Beijing, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Munich, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Warsaw. For more information, please visit www.guidewire.com.
NOTE: Guidewire, Guidewire Software, Guidewire ClaimCenter, Guidewire PolicyCenter, Guidewire BillingCenter, Guidewire InsuranceSuite, Guidewire DataHub, Guidewire InfoCenter, Guidewire Live, Live Inside, Before & After, Claim Canvas, ViewPoint, Guidewire PartnerConnect, Guidewire SolutionConnect, Deliver Insurance Your Way, and the Guidewire logo are trademarks, service marks, or registered trademarks of Guidewire Software, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
Cautionary Language Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the "safe harbor" provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including but not limited to, statements regarding our market positioning, future adoption of our products and future investments. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date they were first issued and were based on current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections as well as the beliefs and assumptions of management. Words such as "expect," "anticipate," "should," "believe," "hope," "target," "project," "goals," "estimate," "potential," "predict," "may," "will," "might," "could," "intend," variations of these terms or the negative of these terms and similar expressions are intended to identify these forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which involve factors or circumstances that are beyond Guidewire's control. Guidewire's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied in forward-looking statements due to a number of factors, including but not limited to, risks detailed in Guidewire's most recent Forms 10-K and 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as other documents that may be filed by the Company from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, the following factors, among others, could cause results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements: the market for our software may develop more slowly than expected or than it has in the past; quarterly and annual operating results may fluctuate more than expected; seasonal and other variations related to our revenue recognition may cause significant fluctuations in our results of operations and cash flows; our reliance on sales to and renewals from a relatively small number of large customers for a substantial portion of our revenues; our services revenues produce lower gross margins than our license and maintenance revenues; assertions by third parties that we violate their intellectual property rights could substantially harm our business; we face intense competition in our market; weakened global economic conditions may adversely affect the P&C insurance industry including the rate of information technology spending; our product development and sales cycles are lengthy; the risk of losing key employees; changes in foreign exchange rates; general political or destabilizing events, including war, conflict or acts of terrorism; and other risks and uncertainties. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent Guidewire's views as of the date of this press release. The Company anticipates that subsequent events and developments will cause its views to change. Guidewire undertakes no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing Guidewire's views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
|GUIDEWIRE SOFTWARE, INC. AND SUBSIDIARIES|
|CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS|
|(unaudited, in thousands)|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||79,767||$||205,718|
|Restricted cash, current||167||3,726|
|Deferred tax assets, current||2,897||13,442|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||9,445||7,266|
|Total current assets||210,093||262,465|
|Property and equipment, net||12,914||11,924|
|Intangible assets, net||6,879||—|
|Deferred tax assets, noncurrent||21,091||9,313|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Accrued employee compensation||26,302||26,502|
|Deferred revenues, current||37,351||52,947|
|Other current liabilities||4,614||3,957|
|Total current liabilities||74,784||93,187|
|Deferred revenues, noncurrent||3,845||2,569|
|Additional paid-in capital||237,769||207,624|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(1,558||)||(496||)|
|Total stockholders' equity||228,429||183,962|
|TOTAL LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY||$||312,270||$||284,247|
|GUIDEWIRE SOFTWARE, INC. AND SUBSIDIARIES|
CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF INCOME
|(unaudited, in thousands except share and per share data)|
|Three Months Ended July 31,||Year Ended July 31,|
|Cost of revenues: (1)|
|Total cost of revenues||36,806||27,206||131,743||91,410|
|Total gross profit||60,104||40,383||168,906||140,651|
|Operating expenses: (1)|
|Research and development||18,843||14,355||66,346||50,462|
|Sales and marketing||16,621||13,286||53,301||38,254|
|General and administrative||8,452||7,474||32,414||28,336|
|Total operating expenses||43,916||35,115||152,061||117,052|
|Income from operations||16,188||5,268||16,845||23,599|
|Interest income, net||139||88||498||308|
|Other expense, net||(27||)||(257||)||(131||)||(728||)|
|Income before provision for income taxes||16,300||5,099||17,212||23,179|
|Provision for income taxes||4,195||1,551||1,829||7,979|
|Earnings per share:|
|Shares used in computing earnings per share:|
(1) Amounts include stock-based compensation expense as follows: