Dell Furthers Commitment to Asia with Transformative Technology Solutions from the Data Center to th
Dell Furthers Commitment to Asia with Transformative Technology Solutions from the Data Center to the End Device
- Enterprise solutions address customer data center demands, from hyperscale to home office
- New Latitude offerings redefine the corporate laptop, including outstanding security, manageability and reliability
- Dell study and whitepaper show how eCommerce can improve Chinese business models6
- Software localization initiative helps Asia-Pacific businesses accelerate results
BEIJING--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Dell today unveiled comprehensive end-to-end solutions from new data center offerings to laptops and services to localized software solutions to help entrepreneurs, enterprises and public institutions throughout the Asia-Pacific region and the world transform their business and re-stimulate local economies. The new solutions were announced at the Dell Solutions Summit, which brings customers, partners and thought leaders from the Asia-Pacific region together to discuss technology solutions that can set the foundation for growth, productivity and positive change. As a leading force in the world economy and in world affairs, Dell recognizes the importance of this region and is eager to share and learn from the region's organizations.
In addition to new solutions, Dell reaffirmed its ongoing commitment to and investment in the area. This year, Dell awarded Dell Youth Learning grants to three charities in China, as well as Children's Cancer Care grants to three charities in the region and $250,000USD in disaster relief to the floods in India. Nearly 50 percent of entries in the Dell Social Innovation Challenge earlier this summer were received from the Asia-Pacific region and the winning team was from India. Also, in June, Dell celebrated an important manufacturing milestone with the opening of the Chengdu Operations Site, the first Dell operations site to fully deploy Dell's new IT solutions.
"At Dell, we are fully committed to the Asia-Pacific region," said Michael Dell, chairman and CEO. "We continue to grow our regional investments and deepen our customer relationships with technology solutions that make a positive difference in how people live, organizations operate and the world works."
Transforming the Data Center with Customer-Inspired Server and Networking Solutions
Dell today delivered new options to improve data center efficiency with the introduction of an open hyperscale rack solution for China. Built in close collaboration with the largest cloud service providers in China to meet the demanding needs of emerging workloads, the Dell open hyperscale rack solution takes a holistic approach to data center architecture to deliver an advantage to businesses in the rapidly-evolving cloud computing marketplace. The Dell open hyperscale rack solution is:
- Customer Inspired: Designed to support the next generation of data centers in China with capacities up to 15 kW per rack.
- Flexibly Efficient: Expanded configurability for customer-specific workloads with a highly-modular compute and storage architecture featuring shared power, cooling and rack-level management.
In conjunction with the Dell rack solution announcement, Dell will contribute key elements of the design to the Open Compute Project with the goal of fostering additional openness, standardization and innovation around rack platforms.
In addition, Dell Networking expanded its S-series portfolio with the new S6000, the industry's highest-density 1RU 10/40GbE switching platform1 for highly-virtualized data centers. Consuming up to 50 percent less power than Dell's previous generation top-of-rack switches, the S6000 doubles the density and throughput2 all in a fixed form factor design, allowing customers to build more efficient data centers considering today's demands on energy. Also, built-in advanced virtualization and automation features help customers scale larger virtual deployments in a smaller physical footprint, and help solve the challenge of bridging virtualized and non-virtualized aspects of the infrastructure. Additional features include:
- High-density: Deployed as 32 40GbE ports or 96 10GbE ports plus 8 40GbE ports in 1RU, the S6000 can support new, more flexible network architectures for high-density compute racks in top-of-rack position, or provide network connectivity for multiple racks in efficient end-of-row or middle-of-row configurations.
- High-throughput: Provides up to 2.56Tbps performance, twice that of similar competitive products in a standard 1RU form factor3 allowing customers to aggressively invest in 10GbE for in-rack server and storage connectivity.
- Unifying environments: The S6000 supports advanced network virtualization and software-defined networking features including hardware-accelerated layer 2 gateway functionality for use with VMware NSX™, bridging traffic between virtualized and non-virtualized environments. In addition, upcoming enhancements to Dell Active Fabric Manager allow visibility into the virtual network of VMware's vSphere Distributed Switch environments. Both make SDN come alive and help network and server/virtualization administrators collaborate on next-generation infrastructure.
- Energy efficient: S6000 is Fresh Air capable and validated as part of Dell's Fresh Air cooling solution for servers, storage and networking. By leveraging the thermal and reliability advantages engineered into this portfolio of equipment, customers are able to run data centers even warmer, helping reduce additional maintenance and infrastructure costs, while enabling lower overall energy consumption.
Building on its No. 1 x86 server unit share in China4, Dell also launched the PowerEdge T20 Server, an ideal first server for small offices and home offices. The T20 packs large internal storage capacity and performance in a compact, quiet, mini-tower server chassis for efficient, worry-free operation. With the T20 server, customers can cost effectively:
- Ease management of consolidated data, images and videos stored on multiple media and media types in multiple locations, onto a single server.
- Enhance collaboration by running applications, accessing data, and sharing information and files from any device.
- Attach external devices flexibly and easily with numerous PCIe slots and USB ports.
- Secure data and files with software RAID and optional backup and restore solutions.
Connecting and Protecting Businesses with New Secure, Manageable and Reliable Laptops
Dell today announced the latest additions to its award-winning Latitude family of business computing solutions - the Dell Latitude 7000 Series Ultrabooks™. The Dell Latitude 7000 Series Ultrabooks brings security, manageability and reliability to businesses, helping companies across the Asia-Pacific region and the world do business better. Powered by Intel ultra-low voltage processors, these thin, light Ultrabooks redefine the corporate laptop. The Dell Latitude 7000 Series Ultrabooks are:
- Made to move, with the 12-inch model starting at 20mm thin and 1.3 kg (2.99 lbs)5.
- Easy for IT to manage with exceptional integrated management capabilities including Dell-unique Intel vPro extensions and automated tools that plug into Microsoft System Center and Dell KACE.
- The world's most secure Ultrabooks, featuring best-in-class endpoint security solutions that include comprehensive encryption, advanced authentication and leading-edge malware protection from a single source and the highest level of FIPS 140-2 (level 3) certification for system disk encryption.
- Designed for reliability, passing rigorous third-party durability testing and crafted with premium materials such as aluminum, a Tri-metal chassis and Corning Gorilla Glass NBT for scratch and damage resistance and optimal brightness.
- The only corporate Ultrabook designed to be backwards compatible with existing (E-family) Latitude docks.
- Available with innovative WiGig wireless docking, making Dell Ultrabooks the first and only that let you connect your display and other peripherals without messy cords.
Complementing the Dell Latitude 7000 Series Ultrabooks are the new Latitude 5000 and 3000 Series laptops, designed to help businesses of all sizes adopt secure, manageable and reliable notebooks. Offering the same level of attention to security, manageability, reliability and quality material design, these laptops expand the computing options for education, healthcare and manufacturing customers worldwide.
Adopting New Business Models Through eCommerce
Dell Services has revealed the results of an industry survey that show nearly 40 percent of CXOs in China plan to grow their eCommerce business, and another 39 percent see it as a trend for their retail, manufacturing and finance industries in the next five years6. Realizing that traditional industries in the country are looking for new growth opportunities through eCommerce, today Dell Services is also releasing a whitepaper titled, "eCommerce 3.0: Rebuilding the eCommerce Ecosystem6." The new whitepaper outlines ways companies in the region can shift their approach to focus on building a healthy eCommerce ecosystem rather than squeezing profit margins.
Due to challenging macro-economic conditions and an unbalanced industry structure in China during the last several years, industries and businesses are facing distinct obstacles. For instance, the survey found that finance executives list lack of ecommerce talent as their biggest challenge, followed by lack of supply-chain management experience6. Retail CXOs say warehouse and logistics management system building is their major challenge, while 50 percent of manufacturing respondents say their biggest hurdle is that operating models of traditional manufacturing enterprises don't match eCommerce business models6.
Dell Services has successfully helped Chinese companies, like Gome and Jinjiang, with their eCommerce transformations, partnering with the customers for the duration of the transformation from strategy development to IT services and eCommerce platform delivery. Delivering the whitepaper and survey results will further help companies consider ways to incorporate eCommerce business models into their own for a more profitable, productive and competitive business.
Accelerating Results with Localized Software Solutions
Building off of our global presence and growing Asia-Pacific portfolio - including more than 20 products available today in the region - Dell Software is further enhancing its portfolio for the area. To help organizations across the Asia-Pacific market accelerate business results and gain a competitive advantage, Dell Software is leading a large-scale initiative to expand its efforts to localize several key systems management, security, and information management solutions over the next year. Initially targeting China, Korea and Japan, the new localization effort includes the Dell SonicWALL™ SuperMassive 9000 Series, Network Security Appliance Series (NSA) and TZ Series next-generation firewalls, AppAssure™ backup and recovery solution, and Toad™ for Oracle database development and administration solution.
- Continuing Dell Software's commitment to delivering Connected Security solutions, the localization of a trio of leading security appliances will enable organizations across China, Korea and Japan to better protect their networks from a host of sophisticated security threats. The SuperMassive 9000 delivers deep enterprise security by detecting and blocking threats before they enter the network, while the NSA Series delivers similar functionality to small- and mid-sized organizations. Lastly, the TZ Series provides a Unified Threat Management firewall for small businesses, retail deployments, government organizations, remote sites and branch offices by combining effective anti-malware and intrusion prevention with mobile platform support for laptops, smartphones and tablets.
- With AppAssure, organizations in China, Korea and Japan will now benefit from an all-in-one backup, replication and recovery solution that works across physical, virtual and cloud environments. AppAssure enables users to reliably back up critical data and recover it at a moment's notice.
- As Dell Software's flagship Oracle database development and administration solution, Toad for Oracle will help organizations in China facilitate the greatest possible productivity by empowering developers and database administrators of all skill and experience levels to work efficiently and accurately.
The initiative builds upon Dell Software's solid foundation in the APJ region and its already robust list of localized offerings. This group includes leading endpoint systems management solutions such as the Dell KACE K1000 and K2000, data protection solutions such as NetVault Backup and vRanger, identity and access management solutions such as Quest One ActiveRoles Server and Quest One Password Manager, as well as a host of network security solutions.
"The S6000 delivers a re-imagining of the datacenter backbone. The 40Gb/s datacenter core transition begins in earnest with the arrival of high-density fixed-configuration switches." - Joel Jaeggli, Zynga network engineer and Dell S6000 beta tester.
"The Dell Latitude Ultrabooks are built to be portable and are more robust than any of the competitor laptops we evaluated. We selected the Dell Latitude 6430U Ultrabooks because, with the high-quality durability, we were confident that they would meet our needs for the next four years. We were also impressed with Dell's ability to respond to our requests and provide various models for us to test and compare. Moreover, we were able to configure our first article ourselves online, and the rest of the fleet followed suit." - Tom Dudek, Head of ICT and eLearning at John Septimus Roe Anglican Community School in Australia.
"We wanted a trusted industry leader to advise us on our eCommerce strategy. Dell is a leader in supply chain consulting and capable of providing comprehensive framework and system implementation services to support our company. The eCommerce strategy fits with our business model of customer-centric service." - Yu Binping, CIO of Gome Online.
"We selected Dell over IBM and HP because we were looking for a long-term partner who could provide a high-performance platform, allowing us to scale as we grow considering our sales figures are predicted to double in the next two years. With the stability, high-density memory and fast processing delivered by the virtualized Dell infrastructure, we can now scale the system within one to two hours through virtualization rather than the three days it would take us previously. We've already saved $326,000 thanks to these efficiencies and the reduction in physical infrastructure requirements." - Zhou Qiuye, operations and maintenance director for online cosmetics retailer, Lefeng.com.
"We chose Dell after speaking with several other vendors as Dell met our requirements, from desktop virtualization to server virtualization to networking. With Dell's solutions we have saved on terminal equipment energy consumption by more than 80 percent, cut terminal platform management complexity in half, increased the lifecycle of terminal equipment by 60 percent, provided desktop terminal delivery within 10 minutes, dramatically improved terminal delivery efficiency, and saw an increase in maintenance efficiency of our IT engineers by 90 percent. Dell's one-stop-shop capabilities and its level of service helped us accomplish our goal, and Dell technical infrastructure is very cutting-edge." - Wang Chuansheng, IT Director, FAW Foundry Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of FAW Group that specializes in major auto castings.
- Dell expects worldwide availability of the S6000 switching platform in its fiscal third quarter 2013.
- The Dell PowerEdge T20 Server will be available in September 2013 through exclusive distributors in China at Unis and in Korea at DaeWon CTS. In October 2013, the server will be available in Australia/New Zealand through Altech Computers, and globally through all Dell PartnerDirect resellers and distributors.
- The Dell open hyperscale rack solution is now available via DCS engagement.
- The Dell Latitude 7000 Series Ultrabooks and the Latitude 3000 series laptops will be available on September 12, 2013. The Latitude 5000 Series will be available in late October 2013.
- Dell Software will begin delivering a localized version of its Toad solution to China in Q3 CY 2013. The trio of Dell SonicWALL appliances will be available in a localized version by the beginning of CY 2014 in China, Korea and Japan. Dell Software will also deliver a localized version of its AppAssure solution to China, Korea and Japan in Q2 CY 2014.
1Based on internal Dell analysis comparing Dell S6000 to comparable systems.
2Based on July 2013 internal Dell analysis comparing Dell S6000 to comparable systems (including Dell Z9000/S4810 series).
3Based on July 2013 internal Dell analysis comparing Dell S6000 to comparable systems (including Dell S4810/S4820T series).
4According to the IDC WW Quarterly x86 Server Tracker Q1 2013 report, Dell is No. 1 in x86 server unit share in China.
5Weight based on 3-cell battery; weights vary based on manufacturing variability.
6Survey results can be found in the following Dell whitepaper, "eCommerce 3.0: Rebuilding the eCommerce Ecosystem"
Dell andDell SonicWALL™, AppAssure™, and Toad™ are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
Katie Taylor, +1-512-728-1222
Lily Guan, +8610-58261152
Investor Relations Contact:
David Mehok, +1-512-728-4225
Karina Franco, +1-512-728-5224
KEYWORDS: United States Asia Pacific North America China Texas Japan
The article Dell Furthers Commitment to Asia with Transformative Technology Solutions from the Data Center to the End Device originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.