Verizon Wireless Announces Winners in Mobile App Concept Development Program at Local Boston High Sc
Verizon Wireless Announces Winners in Mobile App Concept Development Program at Local Boston High Schools
- First place winners include Team iAgenda from Boston Green Academy and Team VORText from John D. O' Bryant School of Mathematics and Science
- Each first place team member receives a $5,000 scholarship, Verizon Wireless internship and Samsung Galaxy tablet
- 'Education Empowerment Program' designed to prepare high school students for college, career success
- Full recap video of Empowerment Program available at:http://vzwnortheast.tumblr.com/post/52737271252/verizon-wireless-empowerment-program-2013
WILMINGTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Verizon Wireless announced that Team iAgenda from Boston Green Academy and Team VORText from John D. O' Bryant School of Mathematics and Science are the winners of its local Education Empowerment Program. Conducted in partnership with Samsung, the program's curriculum focused on teaching students to leverage mobile technology in and out of the classroom and preparing them to enter higher education and the workforce.
The winning app design by Team VORText captures handwritten notes via a mobile device's camera, and translates the content into digital texts for future use. Team iAgenda's concept provides homework reminders, grade tracking abilities, school contacts, time alerts and GPS capabilities.
Each member of the first place winning teams received a $5,000 scholarship, a new Samsung tablet and Verizon Wireless summer internship opportunities. Members of the second and third place teams each received a Samsung tablet.
Second and third place winners from the Boston Green Academy include:
- Team "Scar-Clari": helps students achieve better grades and motivates students to do well, particularly students new to the USA.
- Team "World Washers": designed to be a game app that encourages users to engage in eco-friendly behaviors and activities while having fun.
Second and third place winners from the John D. O' Bryant School of Mathematics and Science include:
- Team "Mi": provides information and news customized to personal preferences including but not limited to movies, sports, TV, local events, music, weather and local bus schedules.
- Team "uHabits": helps people create positive reinforcement to change bad habits to achieve personal and career success, empowering users to set goals and share achievements with their networks.
"The Education Empowerment Program brought together some of the best and brightest students and educators from Boston Public Schools," commented Christine Berberich, New England president for Verizon Wireless. "The app concepts were imaginative and engaging and demonstrated true collaboration between students, mentors and technology partners."
For the past four months, students attended workshops facilitated by Verizon Wireless team members covering topics including effective marketing, college readiness and Internet safety. The program's signature component is its mobile app concept development competition. Eighteen teams of students, all selected by the schools' administrations, developed unique app concepts and marketing plans that they presented to a panel of Verizon Wireless judges on May 16. The panel evaluated the concepts and selected finalists for an online voting round where the public was encouraged to select their favorite app design.
Editor's Note: A recap video of the Empowerment Program is available at: http://vzwnortheast.tumblr.com/post/52737271252/verizon-wireless-empowerment-program-2013
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 98.9 million retail customers, including 93.2 million retail postpaid customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 73,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. For the latest news and updates about Verizon Wireless, visit our News Center at http://news.verizonwireless.com or follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWNews.
For Verizon Wireless
Michael Murphy, 781-932-1213
Diane Carragher, 978-518-4509
KEYWORDS: United States North America Massachusetts
The article Verizon Wireless Announces Winners in Mobile App Concept Development Program at Local Boston High Schools originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.