Summit Hotel Properties Reports First Quarter 2013 Results
Summit Hotel Properties Reports First Quarter 2013 Results
Beat Consensus AFFO per share; 7.7% Pro Forma RevPAR Growth; 78.9 Percent Adjusted EBITDA Growth; Acquired 1,501 Guestrooms
|($ in thousands, except per unit and RevPAR data)|
|Adjusted EBITDA ¹||$||18,877||$||10,554|
|Adjusted FFO ¹||$||11,837||$||6,157|
|FFO per diluted unit ¹||$||0.16||$||0.15|
|Adjusted FFO per diluted unit ¹||$||0.18||$||0.16|
Pro Forma ²
|Hotel EBITDA margin||34.1%||32.2%|
|Hotel EBITDA margin growth||190 bps|
¹See tables later in this press release for a reconciliation of net income (loss) to earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization ("EBITDA"), adjusted EBITDA, funds from operations ("FFO"), FFO per diluted unit, adjusted FFO and adjusted FFO per diluted unit.EBITDA, adjusted EBITDA, FFO, FFO per diluted unit, adjusted FFO and adjusted FFO per diluted unit, as well as hotel EBITDA (hotel revenues less hotel operating expenses), are non-GAAP financial measures.See further discussions of these non-GAAP measures later in this press release.
² Pro forma information includes operating results for 85 hotels owned as of March 31, 2013 as if each hotel had been owned by the Company since January 1, 2012, and excludes the following six hotels that were held for sale at March 31, 2013: the 119-guestroom Holiday Inn, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Holiday Inn Express, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Fairfield Inn, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Hampton Inn, Boise, ID; the 96-guestroom Courtyard, Memphis, TN; and the 78-guestroom SpringHill Suites, Lithia Springs, GA. As a result, these pro forma operating measures include operating results for certain hotels for periods prior to the Company's ownership.
First Quarter Highlights
- Pro Forma RevPAR: Pro forma revenue per available room ("RevPAR") in the first quarter of 2013 grew to $77.44, an increase of 7.7 percent over the same period in 2012. Pro forma RevPAR growth, adjusted for renovation displacement, was 9.0 percent. Pro forma average daily rate ("ADR") grew to $109.57, an increase of 5.0 percent from the first quarter of 2012. Pro forma occupancy grew by 175 basis points to 70.7 percent.
- Pro Forma Hotel EBITDA: Pro forma hotel EBITDA for the first quarter of 2013 was $24.7 million, an increase of 13.3 percent over the same period of 2012. Pro forma hotel EBITDA includes $0.3 million of disruption caused by ongoing renovations during the first quarter of 2013 at ten of the Company's hotels.
- Pro Forma Hotel EBITDA Margin: Pro forma hotel EBITDA margin grew 190 basis points compared with the same period in 2012. Pro forma hotel EBITDA margin is defined as pro forma hotel EBITDA as a percentage of pro forma total revenue.
- Adjusted EBITDA: The Company's adjusted EBITDA increased to $18.9 million from $10.6 million in the same period in 2012, an increase of $8.3 million or 78.9 percent. Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter includes $0.1 million of charges associated with the consolidation of the Company's corporate offices to Austin, TX.
- Adjusted FFO: The Company's Adjusted FFO for the quarter was $11.8 million or $0.18 per diluted unit.
- Acquisitions: During the first quarter, the Company acquired nine hotels with 1,501 guestrooms, for a total purchase price of $231.6 million.
- Dividends: On May 1, 2013, the Company declared an $0.1125 per share quarterly dividend on its common shares, a $0.578125 per share quarterly dividend on its 9.25% Series A Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Shares, a $0.4921875 per share quarterly dividend on its 7.875% Series B Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Shares, and a $0.35625 per share partial quarterly dividend on its 7.125% Series C Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Shares.
|Number of Hotels||91||73|
|Number of Guestrooms||10,309||7,469|
|Total Revenue (000's)||$||63,211||$||37,320|
|Adjusted EBITDA (000's)||$||18,877||$||10,554|
"We are excited for another year with terrific opportunities for our company," said Dan Hansen, President and CEO. "Our excitement is based on very solid performance by our same-store and newly acquired hotels in the first quarter, which is a seasonally softer quarter, renovations at ten of our hotels, which we expect will have a continued positive effect on future RevPAR growth, and our acquisition of nine hotels during the quarter, all of which we believe will positively affect earnings per share. In addition, we have been aggressively sourcing new opportunities from a variety of sources to ensure our pipeline for future acquisitions remains very strong. We remain focused and disciplined in our goal of acquiring the best brands, in the best markets, at cap rates that we believe are accretive to our company."
During the first quarter of 2013, the Company acquired nine hotels in the upscale and upper midscale segments, totaling 1,501 guestrooms for a total purchase price of $231.6 million. Acquisitions in 2012 and first quarter 2013, net of hotel dispositions, increased the Company's guestroom count by 38.0 percent over the number of guestrooms owned on March 31, 2012.
"We are extremely pleased with our team's execution through a very active period of transactions and both preferred and common equity raises. Our ability to integrate new properties while minimizing disruption through the renovation and disposition process is a clear indicator of why we have had a long history of success and a reputation as a premier asset management team," said Dan Hansen, President and CEO.
The following table provides information on the Company's first quarter 2013 hotel acquisitions:
|01/22/13||Hyatt Place||Orlando (Convention Center), FL||149||$ 13.5|
|01/22/13||Hyatt Place||Orlando (Universal), FL||151||13.9|
|01/22/13||Hyatt Place||Chicago (Hoffman Estates), IL||126||8.7|
|02/11/13||Holiday Inn Express & Suites*||San Francisco, CA||252||60.5|
|03/11/13||Courtyard||New Orleans (French Quarter), LA||140||26.0|
|03/11/13||Courtyard||New Orleans (Convention Center), LA||202||31.5|
|03/11/13||Courtyard||New Orleans (Metairie), LA||153||24.0|
|03/11/13||Residence Inn||New Orleans (Metairie), LA||120||20.0|
|03/11/13||SpringHill Suites||New Orleans (Convention Center), LA||208||33.5|
*This hotel was acquired by a joint venture in which the Company owns an 80% controlling interest.
On October 30, 2012, the Company entered into an agreement with an affiliate of Hyatt Hotels Corporation to fund $20.3 million in the form of a first lien mortgage loan on a hotel property in downtown Minneapolis, MN. The $20.3 million represents a portion of the total acquisition and renovation costs expected to be incurred to convert the property to a Hyatt Place hotel. Subject to certain conditions, including the successful conversion of the property estimated to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2013, the Company plans to purchase the property and enter into a management agreement with a Hyatt affiliate.
"We believe the Minneapolis conversion, when completed, provides our company with future embedded growth," said Mr. Hansen. "We consider this conversion opportunity as a real value creator and expect to selectively use these opportunities as a vehicle to add value."
During the first quarter of 2013, the Company continued its strategy of recycling capital by selling hotels or land that it no longer considers strategic.
- On January 15, 2013, the Company sold the AmericInn Hotel & Suites (62-guestrooms) in Golden, CO for $2.6 million.
- On February 15, 2013, the Company sold the Hampton Inn (149-guestrooms) in Denver (Greenwood Village), CO for $5.5 million.
- On February 27, 2013, the Company sold a parcel of land (3.25 acres) in Jacksonville, FL for $1.9 million.
During the quarter, the Company completed several capital market transactions. The Company raised $230.2 million in net proceeds from common and preferred stock offerings.
- On January 14, 2013, the Company completed a public offering of 17,250,000 shares of its common stock at a public offering price of $9.00 per share, including the 2,250,000 shares issued pursuant to the underwriters' over-allotment option. Net proceeds of $148.2 million were realized after deducting the underwriting discount and other estimated offering expenses.
- On March 20, 2013, the Company completed a public offering of 3,400,000 shares of its 7.125% Series C Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock, including 400,000 shares issued pursuant to the underwriters' over-allotment option, resulting in net proceeds of $82.0 million, after deducting the underwriting discount and estimated offering costs.
In first quarter of 2013, the Company completed the following term debt transactions:
- On January 14, 2013, the Company repaid in full its loans with First National Bank of Omaha in the amount of $22.8 million.
- On January 25, 2013, the Company closed on a $29.4 million CMBS loan with KeyBank secured by four of its recent Hyatt Place acquisitions: Chicago (Lombard), IL; Denver (Lone Tree), CO; Denver (Englewood), CO; and Dallas (Arlington), TX. This loan has a maturity date of February 1, 2023, and bears interest at a fixed rate of 4.46%.
- On February 11, 2013, the Company, through a joint venture with an affiliate of IHG, acquired a Holiday Inn Express & Suites (252-guestrooms) in San Francisco, CA for a purchase price of $60.5 million, including $23.4 million of assumed mortgage debt with Greenwich Capital. The loan bears interest at 6.20% and has a January 6, 2016 maturity date.
- On March 7, 2013, the Company closed on a $22.7 million CMBS loan with KeyBank secured by three of its recent Hyatt acquisitions: Scottsdale, AZ; Baltimore (Owings Mills), MD; and Denver (Englewood), CO. This loan has a maturity date of April 1, 2023 and bears interest at a fixed rate of 4.52%.
- On March 8, 2013, the Company closed on a $22.0 million CMBS loan with KeyBank secured by three of its recent Hyatt Place acquisitions: Orlando (Universal), FL; Orlando (Convention Center), FL; and Chicago (Hoffman Estates), IL. This loan has a maturity date of April 1, 2023 and bears interest at a fixed rate of 4.30%.
"We are pleased with both the debt and equity opportunities so far in 2013," said Stuart Becker, Executive Vice President and CFO. "We have been able to drive down our cost of capital with our recent offerings. In addition, we believe the strength of our balance sheet allows us to continue with our acquisition strategy."
The Company invested $7.4 million during the first quarter of 2013 on the renovations of ten properties. Projects ranged from lobby and public space improvements to complete guestroom renovations including all furniture, soft goods, and new guest bathrooms.
One of the Company's largest transformations during first quarter of 2013 was the full renovation of the SpringHill Suites in Baton Rouge, LA. This renovation included exterior refinish, a lobby re-image to include a new kitchen, business center, front desk as well as tile, carpet, and wall coverings. The exercise room was relocated and all new fitness equipment was added. Common areas included new hallway carpet, tile, and wall coverings. The guestrooms included all new furniture, beds, wall coverings, air conditioning units, lighting, bath tile, and wall paint. This renovation totaled approximately $1.7 million and was completed in February of 2013.
Another major renovation in the first quarter was the Baton Rouge, LA Fairfield Inn. This property was converted to a Fairfield Inn & Suites which included new exterior signage upgrade and complete exterior refinish. A full lobby re-image and expansion was completed including a new kitchen, common area tile, carpet and wall coverings, a new front desk layout and exercise room equipment. Seven of the guestrooms were converted to suites to create added revenue opportunities. All guestrooms were renovated to include new furniture, beds, carpet, wall paint, air conditioning units, lighting, and bath tile. The renovation totaled $2.0 million and was completed in February of 2013.
"The capital we have invested in the renovations of our hotels continues to have positive results," said Mr. Hansen. "We see continued RevPAR growth from these activities and continue to invest in our portfolio where opportunities are presented."
- At March 31, 2013, the Company had total outstanding debt of $332.4 million and $20.8 million of cash and cash equivalents. Maximum borrowing capacity was $113.1 million under the senior secured revolving credit facility. The Company had $5.0 million outstanding on its senior secured revolving credit facility, $3.7 million in standby letters of credit, and $104.4 million available to borrow. In addition, the Company also had 18 unencumbered hotels available to further expand its borrowing base.
- The Company's weighted average interest rate on its debt outstanding at March 31, 2013 is 5.35%.
- As of March 31, 2013, the Company's funded debt to EBITDA was 3.9x. The Company's debt to total market capitalization was 26.0%.
- On April 30, 2013, the Company acquired the 120-guestroom Hilton Garden Inn in Greenville, SC for $15.3 million.
- On May 1, 2013, the Company sold a non-strategic Holiday Inn Express (63-guestrooms) in Boise, ID for $3.0 million.
- On May 1, 2013, the Company sold a non-strategic Holiday Inn (119-guestrooms) in Boise, ID for $9.6 million.
On May 6, 2013, the Company owns 90 hotels totaling 10,247 guestrooms in 23 states, with 18 brands. Since its initial public offering in February of 2011, the Company has acquired 34 hotel properties, totaling 4,436 guestrooms for a total purchase price of $562.3 million.
Estimated Sources and Uses of Cash
On page 15 of this release, the Company provides a schedule of estimated sources and uses of cash. The schedule reflects components of the Company's balance sheet as of March 31, 2013, as well as subsequently completed or announced hotel acquisitions and dispositions and completed or anticipated financing transactions. The schedule assumes dividends will be paid out of operating cash flow. No assurance can be given that anticipated transactions will be completed within the expected time frame, or at all. The timing of these transactions may change. In addition, the Company may choose not to complete anticipated transactions for various reasons, including reasons beyond the control of the Company.
Second Quarter 2013 Outlook
The Company is providing guidance for the second quarter based on 88 current hotels.¹ Except as described in footnote 1 below, it assumes no additional hotels are acquired or sold in the second quarter and no additional issuances of equity securities.
|Pro forma RevPAR (88) ¹||$||83.50||$||85.00|
|Pro forma RevPAR Growth (88)||5.0%||7.0%|
|RevPAR (same-store 57)||$||73.50||$||75.00|
|RevPAR Growth (same-store 57)||5.0%||7.0%|
|Adjusted FFO per diluted unit ²||$||0.24||$||0.26|
|Renovation capital deployed||$||11,000||$||13,000|
¹ In addition to the Company's portfolio of 91 hotels (10,309 guestrooms) at March 31, 2013, includes the following properties purchased subsequent to March 31, 2013 or currently under contract: the 120-guestroom Hilton Garden Inn, Greenville, SC; the 93-guestroom Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Minneapolis (Minnetonka), MN; and the 97-guestroom Hilton Garden Inn, Minneapolis (Eden Prairie), MN. Also excludes the following properties sold subsequent to March 31, 2013 or held for sale at March 31, 2013: the 119-guestroom Holiday Inn, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Holiday Inn Express, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Fairfield Inn, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Hampton Inn, Boise, ID; the 96-guestroom Courtyard, Memphis, TN; and the 78-guestroom SpringHill Suites, Lithia Springs, GA.
²Assumed weighted average diluted common units of 68,930,000 for second quarter 2013.
Full Year 2013 Outlook
The Company is providing guidance for full year 2013 based on 92 current hotels.¹ Except as described in footnote 1 below, it assumes no additional hotels are acquired or sold in 2013 and no additional issuances of equity securities. US GDP growth was assumed to be in the range of 2.0 to 2.5 percent.
|Pro forma RevPAR (92) ¹||$||79.50||$||81.00|
|Pro Forma RevPAR Growth (92)||5.0%||7.0%|
|RevPAR (same-store 57)||$||69.50||$||71.00|
|RevPAR Growth (same-store 57)||5.0%||7.0%|
|Adjusted FFO ²||$||57,300||$||61,400|
|Adjusted FFO per diluted unit ³||$||0.84||$||0.90|
|Renovation capital deployed||$||40,000||$||48,000|
¹ In addition to the Company's portfolio of 91 hotels (10,309 guestrooms) at March 31, 2013, includes the following properties purchased subsequent to March 31, 2013 or currently under contract: the 120-guestroom Hilton Garden Inn, Greenville, SC;the 93-guestroom Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Minneapolis (Minnetonka), MN; the 97-guestroom Hilton Garden Inn, Minneapolis (Eden Prairie), MN; the 297-guestroom Courtyard, Indianapolis, IN; the 156-guestroom SpringHill Suites, Indianapolis, IN; the 198-guestroom SpringHill Suites, Louisville, KY; and the 135-guestroom Fairfield Inn & Suites, Louisville, KY. Also excludes the following properties sold subsequent to March 31, 2013 or held for sale at March 31, 2013: the 119-guestroom Holiday Inn, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Holiday Inn Express, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Fairfield Inn, Boise, ID; the 63-guestroom Hampton Inn, Boise, ID; the 96-guestroom Courtyard, Memphis, TN; and the 78-guestroom SpringHill Suites, Lithia Springs, GA.
²Adjusted FFO guidance on 98 hotels assumes additional charges in the range of $0.4 million to $0.6 million that are associated with the consolidation of the Company's corporate office from Sioux Falls, SD to Austin, TX prior to the end of 2013.
³Assumed weighted average diluted common units of 68,268,000 for full year 2013.
The Company will conduct its quarterly conference call on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 9:00am EST. To participate in the conference call please dial 877-703-6105. The participant passcode for the call is 68239143. Additionally, a live webcast of the call will be available through the Company's website, www.shpreit.com. A replay of the conference call will be available until 11:59pm EST Tuesday, May 14, 2013 by dialing 888-286-8010; participant passcode 12660903. A replay of the conference call will also be available on the Company's website until August 7, 2013.
About Summit Hotel Properties
Summit Hotel Properties, Inc. is a publicly traded real estate investment trust focused primarily on acquiring and owning premium-branded select-service hotels in the upscale and upper midscale segments of the lodging industry. As of May 6, 2013, the Company's portfolio consisted of 90 hotels with a total of 10,247 guestrooms located in 23 states. Additional information about Summit may be found at the Company's website, www.shpreit.com.
This press release contains statements that are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are generally identifiable by use of forward-looking terminology such as "may," "will," "should," "potential," "intend," "expect," "seek," "anticipate," "estimate," "approximately," "believe," "could," "project," "predict," "forecast," "continue," "plan" or other similar words or expressions. Forward-looking statements are based on certain assumptions and can include future expectations, future plans and strategies, financial and operating projections or other forward-looking information. Examples of forward-looking statements include the following: projections of the Company's revenues and expenses, capital expenditures or other financial items; descriptions of the Company's plans or objectives for future operations, acquisitions, dispositions, financings or services; forecasts of the Company's future financial performance and potential increases in average daily rate, occupancy, RevPAR,room supply and demand, funds from operations and adjusted funds from operations; US GDP growth; estimated sources and uses of available capital; and descriptions of assumptions underlying or relating to any of the foregoing expectations regarding the timing of their occurrence. These forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties, not all of which are known to the Company and many of which are beyond the Company's control, which could cause actual results to differ materially from such statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the state of the U.S. economy, supply and demand in the hotel industry and other factors as are described in greater detail in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"), including, without limitation, the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012. Unless legally required, the Company disclaims any obligation to update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
For information about the Company's business and financial results, please refer to the "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" and "Risk Factors" sections of the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012 and its quarterly and other periodic filings with the SEC. The Company undertakes no duty to update the statements in this release to conform the statements to actual results or changes in the Company's expectations.
The following condensed consolidated balance sheets and statements of operations are those of Summit Hotel OP, LP (the Operating Partnership) and Summit Hotel Properties, Inc.'s (the REIT) consolidated operating partnership.Such financial results for the periods presented are identical to those of the REIT; however, we believe the reconciliation of FFO, AFFO, EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA to net income (loss) presented in the Operating Partnership's statement of operations is more beneficial, as it eliminates the presentation of noncontrolling interests represented by the equity interests held by limited partners of the Operating Partnership, other than the REIT.In addition, FFO and AFFO results on a total per common unit basis provides for a more consistent period over period presentation now and in future periods.
|SUMMIT HOTEL PROPERTIES|
|Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|March 31, 2013 and December 31, 2012|
Amounts in thousands
|March 31,||December 31,|
|Investment in hotel properties, net||$||934,842||$||734,362|
|Investment in hotel properties under development||10,380||10,303|
|Land held for development||13,844||15,802|
|Assets held for sale||26,920||4,836|
|Cash and cash equivalents||20,790||13,980|
|Prepaid expenses and other||2,889||5,311|
|Deferred charges, net||9,324||8,895|
|Deferred tax asset||3,894||3,997|
|LIABILITIES AND EQUITY|
|LIABILITIES||Read Full Story|