Cache Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2012 Results
Cache Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2012 Results
Fourth Quarter Net Sales and Pre-Tax Loss In Line with Previously Announced Preliminary Results
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Cache, Inc., (NAS: CACH) , the specialty chain of women's apparel stores, reported results for the thirteen ("fourth quarter") and fifty-two week ("fiscal 2012") periods ended December 29, 2012.
For the 13-week period ended December 29, 2012:
- Net sales decreased 3.3% to $60.8 million from $62.9 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011. Comparable store sales decreased 0.7%, compared to an increase of 12.4% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Operating loss totaled $5.0 million, inclusive of $1.1 million in non-cash asset impairment charges. This compares to operating income of $2.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2011, inclusive of $719,000 in non-cash asset impairment charges partially offset by a $345,000 benefit from a gain on note payable settlement.
- Net loss totaled $5.5 million, or $0.41 per diluted share, which included the following costs: (i) a $2.5 million or, $0.18 per diluted share, tax valuation allowance charge; and (ii) a $682,000, or $0.05 per diluted share, non-cash asset impairment charge. This compares to net income of $1.9 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, in the prior year period, which included the following benefits and costs: (i) a $562,000, or $0.04 per diluted share, benefit from the reversal of the tax valuation allowance against net deferred tax assets; (ii) a $396,000, or $0.03 per diluted share, non-cash store impairment charge; and (iii) a $190,000, or $0.02 per diluted share, benefit from a gain on note payable settlement.
- Adjusted net loss, which excludes the costs and benefits referenced above, was $2.4 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, as compared to adjusted net income of $1.5 million, or $0.11 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011. (See the table on page 3 for a reconciliation of net income (loss) to adjusted net income (loss).)
Jay Margolis, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, commented: "Fiscal 2012 was a challenging year for Cache, yet we also saw progress in key areas that we believe allow us to begin fiscal 2013 with a solid foundation. To this end, we doubled our e-commerce sales in this high growth channel, optimized our stores through the closing of underperforming locations to end the year with a strong ongoing store base and continued to be a top destination for event dresses. My priorities in my first year as Chairman and CEO are focused on implementing the processes and strategies to allow our Company to deliver consistent and cohesive apparel and accessories assortments, to enhance and continue to grow our e-commerce business and capitalize more fully on our event dressing opportunity. I am fortunate to have joined an organization that possesses incredible talent and a passion for moving our business forward. I am even more excited today about the opportunities that exist to position Cache for long term profitable growth since joining the Company in February and remain confident in our ability to achieve this goal."
For the 52-week period ended December 29, 2012:
- Net sales increased 0.1% to $224.2 million from $223.9 million in fiscal 2011. Comparable store sales increased 2.7%, compared to an increase of 8.1% in fiscal 2011.
- Operating loss totaled $13.4 million, inclusive of $1.1 million in non-cash asset impairment charges. This compares to operating income of $2.2 million in the prior year period, inclusive of: (i) a $719,000 non-cash asset impairment charge; (ii) a $450,000 legal expense reimbursement; and (iii) a $345,000 benefit from a gain on note payable settlement.
- Net loss was $12.1 million, or $0.90 per diluted share, inclusive of the following costs: (i) a $3.8 million, or $0.28 per diluted share, tax valuation allowance charge; and (ii) a $693,000, or $0.05 per diluted share, non-cash asset impairment charge. This compares to net income of $2.1 million, or $0.16 per diluted share, in fiscal 2011, inclusive of the following benefits and costs: (i) a $833,000 benefit, or $0.06 per diluted share, from the reversal of the tax valuation allowance against net deferred tax assets; (ii) a $396,000, or $0.03 per diluted share, non-cash store impairment charge; (iii) a $248,000, or $0.02 per diluted share, legal expense reimbursement; and (iv) a $190,000, or $0.02 per diluted share, benefit from a gain on note payable settlement.
- Adjusted net loss, which excludes the costs and benefits referenced above, was $7.6 million, or $0.57 per diluted share, compared to fiscal 2011 adjusted net income of $1.2 million or $0.09 per diluted share. (See the table on page 3 for a reconciliation of net income (loss) to adjusted net income (loss).)
Fourth Quarter and Full Year Operating Results
Gross profit for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 was $20.7 million, or 34.0% of net sales, compared to $27.2 million, or 43.3% of net sales, in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011. For fiscal 2012, gross profit was $83.9 million, or 37.4% of net sales, compared to $96.4 million, or 43.1% of net sales, in fiscal 2011. The gross profit decrease in the fourth quarter and fiscal year was primarily driven by increases in markdowns and an increase in e-commerce related costs relating to significantly higher e-commerce sales.
In total, operating expenses for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 were $25.7 million, or 42.2% of net sales, as compared to $24.8 million, or 39.5% of net sales, in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011. For fiscal 2012, total operating expenses were $97.3 million, or 43.4% of net sales, compared to $94.2 million, or 42.1% of net sales, in fiscal 2011. The increase in operating expenses for the fourth quarter and fiscal year 2012 was primarily driven by increases in impairment charges, professional fees, marketing, as well as e-commerce costs and were partially offset by savings in payroll and related expenses.
At December 29, 2012, cash and marketable securities totaled $18.4 million, as compared to $29.5 million at December 31, 2011. Total inventory at cost decreased 3.8% to $21.2 million at year-end from the prior-year period.
A table summarizing financial results follows:
Fifty-Two Weeks Ended
Thirteen Weeks Ended
|Dec. 29,||Dec. 31,||Dec. 29,||Dec. 31,|
($ thousands, except for per share data, share numbers and store count)
|Pre-tax income (loss), inclusive of other charges||($13,363)||$2,265||($4,970)||$2,378|
|Other legal reimbursement||-||(450)||-||-|
|Gain on note payable settlement||-||(345)||-||(345)|
|Pre-tax income (loss),|
|excluding other charges||($12,245)||$2,189||($3,852)||$2,752|
|Net income (loss), inclusive of other charges||($12,078)||$2,081||($5,525)||$1,876|
|Other charges, net of taxes:|
|Other legal reimbursement||-||(248)||-||-|
|Gain on note payable settlement||-||(190)||-||(190)|
|Tax valuation allowance and reserves||3,791||(833)||2,491||(562)|
|Adjusted net income (loss),|
|excluding other charges||($7,594)||$1,206||($2,352)||$1,520|
|Basic earnings (loss) per share (1)||($0.90)||$0.16||($0.41)||$0.14|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share (1)||($0.90)||$0.16||($0.41)||$0.14|
|Per share - Impairment charges||$0.05||$0.03||$0.05||$0.03|
|Per share - Legal reimbursement||-||$(0.02)||-||-|
|Per share - Gain on note payable settlement||-||$(0.02)||-||$(0.02)|
|Per share - Tax valuation allowance and reserves||$0.28||$(0.06)||$0.18||$(0.04)|
|Adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share|
|excluding other charges||($0.57)||$0.09||$(0.18)||$0.11|
|Basic weighted average shares|
|Diluted weighted average shares|
|Number of stores open, at end of period||260||279||260||279|
|(1)||All basic and diluted share information in the table above reflects for all periods presented the issuance of all restricted stock awards, as if issued on the original grant date. In prior periods, the Company previously had been issuing restricted stock only when the awards vested. This change in reporting had no effect on the Company's financial position, results of operations or cash flows during any of the periods presented and the only changes are in the number of shares outstanding in the fiscal 2011 period and net income per share for the 13-week period ended December 31, 2011. The weighted average number of shares attributable to restricted stock awards in fiscal 2012 and 2011 were approximately 531,000 and 319,000, respectively for the 52-week periods and 508,000 and 385,000, respectively, for the 13-week periods.|
About the Company's Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In addition to reporting net income (loss), this release contains adjusted net income (loss), excluding other charges, and Diluted earnings (loss) per share, excluding other charges, which are non-GAAP financial measures used by the Company. In making these non-GAAP adjustments, the Company took into account certain costs or benefits that are generally not expected to be on-going in nature or that are unrelated to the Company's core operations. Management believes such non-GAAP financial information provides a useful basis for evaluating underlying business performance, but should not be considered in isolation and is not a substitute for GAAP financial information. The Company believes that providing such adjusted results allows investors and other users of the Company's financial statements to better understand our comparative operating performance for the periods presented.
During fiscal 2012, the Company opened two stores and closed 21 stores, to end the year with 260 locations and approximately 526,000 square feet in operation. The Company does not currently plan to open any stores in fiscal 2013. To date, during fiscal 2013, we closed nine stores and expect to close approximately five additional stores. The stores that we closed in fiscal 2012 and 2013 and the additional stores that we expect to close in fiscal 2013 had negative profitability in fiscal 2012, so their closures are expected to have a positive impact on fiscal 2013 earnings.
Conference Call Information
The Company will conduct a conference call to discuss its fourth quarter and fiscal 2012 results today, March 12, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time. Investors and analysts interested in participating in the call are invited to dial (877) 705-6003 approximately ten minutes prior to the start of the call. The conference call will also be web-cast live at www.cache.com. A replay of this call will be available until March 19, 2013 and can be accessed by dialing (877) 870-5176 and entering PIN number 410026.
About Cache, Inc.
Cache is a nationwide, mall-based specialty retailer of sophisticated sportswear and social occasion dresses targeting style-conscious women who have a youthful attitude and are self-confident. The Company currently operates 251 stores, primarily situated in central locations in high traffic, upscale malls in 42 states, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
Forward-Looking Statements and Other Information
Certain matters discussed within this press release may constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the federal securities laws. Although Cache, Inc. believes the statements are based on reasonable assumptions, there can be no assurance that these expectations will be attained. Actual results and timing of certain events could differ materially from those projected in or contemplated by the forward-looking statements due to a number of factors, including, without limitation, satisfaction of the conditions relating to the rights offering, industry trends, merchandise and fashion trends, competition, seasonality and changes in general economic conditions and consumer spending patterns, reliance on foreign manufacturers, dependence on management, dependence on vendors and distributors, material weakness in our internal controls, as well as other risks outlined from time to time in the filings of Cache, Inc. with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
This press release does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy nor will there be any sale of any securities referred to in this press release in any state or jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or sale would be unlawful prior to registration or qualification under the securities laws of such state or jurisdiction. The rights offering will be made only by means of a prospectus meeting the requirements of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended.
|CACHE, INC. AND SUBSIDIARIES|
CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
|Cash and equivalents||$||12,360,000||$||22,509,000|
|Certificate of deposits - restricted||3,000,000||3,000,000|
|Income tax receivable, net||184,000||162,000|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||2,224,000||1,572,000|
|Total current assets||44,227,000||56,729,000|
|Equipment and leasehold improvements, net||20,177,000||18,937,000|
|Intangible assets, net||102,000||102,000|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Total current liabilities||26,807,000||22,361,000|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Additional paid-in capital||48,735,000||48,413,000|
|Treasury stock, at cost||(39,795,000||)||(39,795,000||)|
|Total stockholders' equity||39,041,000||50,797,000|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||74,625,000||$||84,645,000|
|CACHE, INC. AND SUBSIDIARIES|
CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS
|52 Weeks Ended|
|52 Weeks Ended|
|Cost of sales, including buying and occupancy||140,299,000||127,461,000|
|Store operating expenses||77,687,000||76,024,000|
|General and administrative expenses||18,542,000||17,428,000|
|Operating income (loss)||(13,436,000||)||2,248,000|
|Other income (expense):|
|Income (loss) before income taxes||(13,363,000||)||2,265,000|
|Income tax provision (benefit)||(1,285,000||)||184,000|
|Net income (loss)||$||(12,078,000||)||$||2,081,000|
|Basic earnings (loss) per share||$||(0.90||)||$||0.16|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share||$||(0.90||)||$||0.16|
|Basic weighted average shares outstanding||13,418,000||13,157,000|
|Diluted weighted average shares outstanding||13,418,000||13,161,000|
Read Full Story
From Our Partners
More to Explore