AOL Jobs Week Resume Contest Winner: Gail Cooper
Location: Riverside, Calif.
Time Unemployed: 6 months
What do you want your potential employer to know about you?
Below is my resume in response to AOL.com's Employing America promotion. It includes over 18 years of auditing/accounting work experience. I've worked in various settings from large, complex organizations to small businesses and have been able to successfully adapt to frequent changes in management styles.
In 2006, I relocated to California after completing my second bachelor's degree with a major in computer information systems from Tulane University in New Orleans, LA. My accounting experience includes entry level as well as supervisory positions. I'm a self-starter who requires little training and can be depended upon to successfully complete my assigned tasks.
Upgrading my information technology skills demonstrates that I have the capacity to analyze complex problems and devise effective solutions. Discipline, excellence and hard work are the foundations of my work ethic. I also consider effective communication skills a must in order to complete any job. No one can do it all by themselves. The utilization of effective people skills builds trust and cooperation within organizations. Once cooperative relationships are established, the "wheels of progress" spin freely. As long as people work together as a team, they can move mountains.
Thank you for taking the time to review my correspondence and a reply would be sincerely appreciated.
Over 18 years of professional accounting, auditing and supervisory experience. Performed audits in addition to various accounting functions within a government controlled utility and hospital with revenues over 100 million dollars. I'm very proficient in performing reconciliations and one-time special projects.
Tulane University/University College (8/02 – 5/06)
- Major: Computer Information Systems.
- Bachelors of Science (5/13/06)
- (Cum Laude) GPA: 3.797.
The University Of Southern Mississippi (8/79 – 8/82)
- Major: Accounting/Data Processing.
- Bachelors of Science in Business Administration (8/13/82)
- GPA: 2.745
Florida Institute of Technology (8/10 – Present)
- Major: Masters of Science in Computer Information Systems (In progress)
- GPA: 4.00.
Accounting Associate (01/08 – Present)
Select Staffing – Los Angeles, CA.
- Performs accounting, auditing and reconciliation related duties for client companies.
- Works primarily on special projects that require the utilization of my accounting, information technology and reconciliation knowledge and skills.
- Works well with clients who don't have a great deal of time to train new hires.
- Handles sensitive data with the utmost discretion.
General Ledger Accountant – (08/06 – Present)
Ledgent – Los Angeles, CA.
- Analyzes reports and source documents generated by client's automated subsidiary accounting modules (journals) to determine appropriate classification within the general ledger accounts.
- Reconciles differences, prepares journal entries and submits them along with supporting documents to the Controller for approval.
- Enters approved journal entries into client's automated general journal entry/update module.
- Reconciles several bank accounts on a monthly basis and submits them to the Controller for approval.
- Prepares expense allocations and approved closing entries on a monthly basis.
- Generates general and subsidiary ledger query reports and researches discrepancies.
Accountant 2 (Professional Services Contracts & Travel) – (12/97 – 2/03)
LSU/MCLNO (Charity Hospital) - New Orleans, LA.
- Entered and setup accounting lines for professional services contracts, contract amendments and student stipends maintained in on-line ISIS/CFMS dbms system.
- Approved and/or processed contract/non-contract related payments in both ISIS/CFMS and ISIS/AFS database
- management systems.
- Reviewed travel reimbursement requests to ensure compliance with MCLNO policies and Louisiana State travel regulations.
- Processed travel reimbursements, patient refunds and other approved check requests through the MCLNO's travel imprest fund.
- Maintained deposit and payment records for travel imprest fund with Quicken checkbook software.
- Reconciled travel imprest fund on a monthly basis along with cash management.
- Compiled weekly and monthly reports tracking activity for professional services contracts.
- Accounting Technician (Patient Accounting) – LSU/MCLNO – (3/97 – 12/97) – New Orleans, LA.
- Supervised the accounting activities of a staff performing all record keeping functions in relation to patient accounts receivables.
- Supervised and trained a staff of accounting personnel in revenue collection procedures as well as coordinated the accounting activities for ineligible and entitlement programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.
- Prepared monthly reconciliations of all patient payments to MCLNO patient accounts and finally to the state's (ISIS) on-line accounting dbms for three separate patient accounting systems.
Administrative Manager 2 – (10/96 – 3/97)
Louisiana State Museum – New Orleans, LA.
- Assisted with annual agency budget preparation and monitored the daily receipts and disbursements of the state museum.
- Supervised the Irby Trust accountant who is responsible for the record keeping functions related to the collections and disbursement of monies generated by this commercial property.
- Supervised a staff responsible for the personnel, payroll, purchasing and property accounting functions within the state museum.
- Handled insurance related matters through the Division of Administration – Office of Risk Management to obtain reimbursement for covered losses.
- Processed requests for professional services contracts, leases and agency/employee telecommunication needs.
Accounting Technician (Payroll Auditing & Garnishments) – (1/96 – 10/96)
LSU/MCLNO– New Orleans, LA.
- Audited and issued reports for an agency payroll with over 5,000 employees.
- Processed court ordered employee wage and student loans garnishments, Federal & state tax levies and bankruptcies.
- Used excel spreadsheets to track deductions and payments for each employee wage assignment.
- Prepared and mailed deductions/payments to each vendor/agency.
- Conferred with employees, court officials, attorneys and various local, state and federal agencies concerning the status of a garnishment or levy.
Accounting Specialist 2 (Management Reporting) – (2/93 – 12/95)
LSU/MCLNO – New Orleans, LA.
- Analyzed and compiled data for the hospital's monthly management report.
- Collected and recorded revenue related data.
- Collected and recorded individual hospital cost center activity indicators.
- Collected and recorded payroll related transactions.
The Sewerage & Water Board of New Orleans – New Orleans, LA.
- Collected all necessary source documents such as bank statements, canceled checks, invoices, computerized reports and payment/cash receipt vouchers.
- Interviewed all necessary personnel at each level of processing from supervisors to subordinates.
- Analyzed all pertinent source documents for accuracy in computations, preparation and sequence of approvals
- at each phase of processing.
- Arranged analyzed data in proper work paper format to convey a thorough, concise analysis of all data collected in order to provide the sufficient evidence to formulate a basis for reported audit findings.
- Compiled all documented and analyzed audit findings into a report that had to be written in precise, objective terms.
If you have a position or job lead for Gail, please contact her at about.me/GailCooper