IKEA to Dump Incandescent Bulbs and Lighten Environmental Impact
The company will continue to sell fluorescent bulbs, as well as light-emitting diode (LED) , halogen and even solar lamps. The company claims that, "If every IKEA customer [the company claims to have 170 million customers worldwide] replaced one ordinary 60-watt bulb with an energy-saving bulb, it would be like taking 750,000 cars off the road in terms of CO2 emissions."According to the U.S. government's Energy Star program, the average incandescent light bulb converts only 10% of its current to light; the remaining 90% becomes heat.
The program finds that the average U.S. household has more than 40 light bulb sockets, and converting these sockets to compact fluorescent, due to their lower consumption and longer life, could save the homeowner more than $30 apiece over the next seven plus years.
IKEA takes great strides to appeal to customers with a green ethos, including minimizing packaging, using renewable materials and streamlining its catalog. It's no surprise its customers will no longer be able to read that catalog by the light of Edison's wasteful invention.