Meals for under $15: The Taco Truck's mushroom tacos
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 serrano peppers, finely chopped
1 pound mixed mushrooms (white buttons, Portabello, shitake)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
12 Epazote leaves, chopped (cilantro can be substituted)
For garnish (optional)
Crumbled queso freso
Mexican cream or creme fraiche
1. Heat oil in a large saute pan at medium-high heat.
2. Drop in onions and seranno peppers and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
3. Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
4. Add the harder mushrooms first, followed by the softer ones. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Turn heat down to medium and add butter and chopped Epazote leaves or cilantro. Cook until butter has melted.
6. Serve warm with fresh tortillas and top with whatever garnish you desire.